help me with a solutions for XP 80 SVQ

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
thriks

help me with a solutions for XP 80 SVQ

Post by thriks »

have over 300 songs(.svq's) created from Roland XP 60 with SRJV 80 Supersoundset,pop,session and asia expansions '

Basicallly what i do is load the Bulk file and then load about 10 songs per floppy and play them .but its really messy with over 300 songs to deal with.
I 've heard that Roland fantom's carry usb port and HDD but the thing is all my songs are created from above srjv expansion boards so i dont think most of them support srjv's or 4 of them

Can some one kindly tell me a better way of storing all these songs and uploading these files (.svq).without using tons of floppys.
is there any fantoms that will support my problem ????or any sequencer like MC 80???? hmm help me thanks in advance
Zephyer

Re: help me with a solutions for XP 80 SVQ

Post by Zephyer »

Hi thriks!

I think a laptop would be the best way to go. You would have to convert your songs to MIDI format 1 using the Xp-80 and then use a MIDI file player program to play the MIDI files through the XP’s MIDI in Port.
RevP

Post by RevP »

The Fantom X or S (not the current model) use the svq format. You could move all of the svq files to your computer. Then when yo get fantom, format you flash card and then move all svqs to the seq folder in the sng folder. That's what I did when I upgraded from XP-60 to Fantom X6.

Obviously, the sounds/patches didn't all save because the sound set on the fantom is larger and arranged differently than that of the xp series. But the song arrangement and midi info was there. Also, you would need to install the srx that have the sounds expansions that you were using on your xp (world & maybe ultimate keys).

Hope this helps.
thriks

Post by thriks »

what type of midi soft
Zephyer

Post by Zephyer »

Hi thriks!

Really you can use just about any music player on your computer. If you have a PC than windows media player comes free with windows and will do the trick. The only thing with windows media player is it will play one file after another and you can’t tell it to play one file then stop. There are tons of free MIDI players on the net. Just do a search for MIDI player and you can try them to see what you like. Here is one I just tested (it’s freeware) to make sure it works, it does. Media player classic.

It can play midi and just about everything else and you can tell it to play one file and wait until you give the command to play the next one.

Hardware you will need.

The only extra hardware you will need to play your MIDI files with the XP-80 is a MIDI Interface, something like this one Edirol UM-1EX it’s only $39.97 but you may even be able to find one for less (maybe another brand) if you look around a bit. But the UM-1EX seem to be a good one and reliable.

Setting it all up.

It’s very easy to setup, just plug the MIDI Interface into your computer and the MIDI cables into your XP-80 and (if they give you one) run the driver disk. After that (if you're using a PC) go to the control panel then select the Sounds and Audio Devices icon. Next choose the audio tab. Near the bottom of the window you will see the category MIDI music playback Default device. Choose your MIDI interface, in this example the Edirol UM-1EX.

Now setup your midi player.

In this example I’m using media player classic (the file I gave you). Just open it then go to view (at the top of the program) select play list, (on the same menu, if you want) select on top then always. Now (on the same menu) go to options then (in the options menu) go to playback, in the playback box set the value to 0 (Zero). Now hit Apply then OK and your done.

Now just drag your midi files into the play list and your XP will play them. Try playing one of your files through the Xp-80 first before you covert them all. If everything works then go-ahead and do the rest. If the patches are not setup right on the XP-80 write back and I'll tell you how to fix them (it’s easy).
thriks

Post by thriks »

thanks for your great help but i need more help

if i convert my svq files to Midi 1 ?? will I be loosing some of my tones in there
what do you think about Midi Temp
cgreene

Post by cgreene »

There is no need to change your XP60 SVQs to MID. files when moving to the Fantom X. The Fantom X reads SVQ files from the XP series. But, you'll have to choose new patches for all your songs, which is work, but the fun part is finding fresh newer Fantom sounds for your old sequences. If you load in the free XV5080 patches from this site into your Fantom X, and/or get the SRX 07 expansion board, then you'll have most of what you need to re-create your SRJV-80 series sounds (only much better).

I have moved a lot of old SVQs from the XP60 to Fantom S, then to Fantom X.

Now that I have the Fantom G, I have to convert all of my hundreds of SVQs to MID. files because the G wont read SVQs from the earlier Roland workstations. Bummer.
Zephyer

Post by Zephyer »

Hi thriks, happy to help!

Yes you are correct, you will lose your sound (performance) settings.

Using the data transfer is a great idea (I think that's what you mean by MIDI temp) I will give you the steps just in case you need them.

1. Load your song.

2. Go to Trkedit, from the Track Edit Menu select Insert Meas, insert a blank measure at the start of your song.

The Insert Meas screen should read.

TRK ALL
Measure 1
for 1

If not, adjust the parameters to match the settings above and then push execute (F6).

3. Push the Utility button, from the Utility Menu select Data Transfer and then push enter.

Set the Data Transfer Screen to match the following settings.

Source PERFORM TEMP: -PATCH
Destination to Seq TRK 1-16 1-01-000

Now push the Execute button (F6).

Save your song as a SMF-1 (MIDI) file and your done.

Note 1 for step 3, any track will do but I normally use 16.

Note 2 for step 3, If you want, you can set -PATCH to +PATCH and your song will save the performance data as well as the sound currently selected in the patch (Patch mode) section.

Note 1 for step 1 and 2, Step 1 and 2 will insert a blank measure at the start of your song. This is to insure your Xp-80 has adequate time to setup performance data. In most cases 1 measure is sufficient. For songs with a lot of performance data (if the beginning of the Song drags when you play it) you may want to use 2 measures.

This section is not required.

Tip, you can make your song start faster if you go to Micro then tempo (the sound list button) and set the tempo of the first measures to a high value. Just make sure to set it back to the tempo of the song before the next measures.

To inset a tempo change move the cursor all the way to the left and type in the song location for the tempo change.

Example, say I want measure 1, Beat 01 and Tick 090 (1-01-090 )

I would place the cursor on the number representing the measure and (Using the XP’s number pad) type in 1 then push enter. Next move to the number representing the beat and type in 01 then push enter. Last go to the number representing the tick and type in 090 and push enter. Now push the Create button (F1) and you have your new tempo. Now set it to the value you want.

I may be out of town for a little while (not sure yet) thriks but if you need more help I will be home most of today.
Zephyer

Post by Zephyer »

Hi cgreene!

Thriks’s last question refers to using a laptop to play songs on the XP-80.
reinstall

Post by reinstall »

Hi could you share with us your songs svq files ?
Thanks
Credo

Post by Credo »

How about a flash memory device for the XP that emulates a floppy drive?
I've you've got classic hardware that you'd like to keep around and continue to use, it might be a worthwhile investment.

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=120

How it works:
1. You use a PC to make disk images.
2. Put all your disk images on an SD flash RAM card.
3. Use the buttons on the floppy emulator to dial up the image you want and load it.

Note, the main drawback to something like this is that it still works at floppy drive speeds in most cases, and that's due to the speeds of the floppy controller chip in your host device.
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

I'm sorry guys but this is an old discussion and most of the original members are not even here anymore...

LA