Complete Logic Pro patch adjustment Environment for Fantom-X

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
appillar

Complete Logic Pro patch adjustment Environment for Fantom-X

Post by appillar »

Hi Guys,

Overview:

I use a Fantom XR (V1.03) with Logic Pro 8.0.2.

I've created a 16 layer Logic Pro 8.0.2 Environment for access to, and automation of, all Fantom XR patch mode parameters from within a Logic project.

Details:

Basically I created knobs, buttons, or scrollable (or pulldown) menus for every Fantom XR patch mode parameter. I then sectioned these off into Logic Environment layers following the layout scheme of the Fantom Software Editor. Movements of these knobs, buttons, or menus can be recorded in Logic (as sysex messages from Logic to the Fantom XR) on the track that you've assigned to your Fantom XR. Simply choose that track, hit record, and move the knob, button, or menu in the Environment. A MIDI region will appear on the track with a row of XXXXXXXXXXXX's along the top of the region (implying the presence of sysex data). Go to your Event List Window where you can see this information and edit it if necessary. FYI, in the Event List Window the "Additional Info" button may be pressed, hiding some of the sysex info. Press the button, see the hidden info.

The 16 layers are sectioned as follows:

1. F-XR P-Common
(Patch Common parameters)

2. F-XR P-Sys Com
(Patch System Common parameters)

3. F-XR P-Matrix
(Patch Matrix Control parameters)

4. F-XR P-LFO
(Patch Low Frequency Oscillator parameters)

5. F-XR P-TVA
(Patch Time Variant Amplifier parameters)

6. F-XR P-TVF
(Patch Time variant Filter parameters)

7. F-XR P-WG
(Patch Wave Generator parameters)

8. F-XR P-TMT
(Patch Tone Mix Table parameters)

9. F-XR Sounds
(A multi, multi-instrument layer to access all patches, performances, rhythm sets, and locally accessible SRX boards available in the local Fantom XR. All names are factory. See my previous post entitled, "Complete Fantom XR Factory Patch and Performance Logic Environment Layer," for more info on this layer.)

10. F-XR P-Ctrl SW
(Patch Control Switch parameters)

11. F-XR P-Scale
(Patch Scale Tune parameters)

12. F-XR P-EFXRout
(Patch Effects Routing parameters)

13. F-XR P-Chorus
(Patch Chorus parameters)

14. F-XR P-Reverb
(Patch Reverb parameters)

15. F-XR P-Master
(Patch Mastering parameters)

16. F-XR P-MFXCtrl
(Patch Multi Effects parameters)

PLEASE READ THESE NOTES:

1. You'll see above that I underlined the word "patch." This is because the Fantom XR contains other sets of parameters for modes and functions other than "patch mode." They are not included in this Logic environment. Why? Because to this date this is as far as I've gotten in designing an environment for the Fantom XR.

[However, the F-XR P-Common and F-XR P-Sys Com layers both contain a menu to switch back and forth between patch and performance mode.]

So to be clear, this environment does not include controls for:

-performance mode parameters
-rhythm set patch parameters
-rhythm pattern function parameters
-arpeggio style function parameters
-chord form function parameters
-sampler parameters (if there are any)

I may get to these other modes or functions in the future, but to be honest the time and energy this current effort took was huge and I'm burned out, so I have to move on to other things for now. BUT... if there is a group of technically inclined, detail oriented Logic users out there using the Fantom XR who would like to team up to complete the environment for these other modes or functions, I'd be more than happy to spearhead that effort, as long as quality consistency can be maintained.

2. Make sure you record your patch choice (or changes) ahead of any parameter changes, so those parameter changes always affect the correct patch.

[To record a patch change, just go to the Track Parameter Box of the Inspector in Logic. In the Program row, while recording, either 1) switch from another patch to the one you want, or 2) click in the checkbox next to the word "Program" (so that a checkmark is displayed) while the patch you want is already chosen from the pulldown menu in that row. This ensures that a program change message for the Fantom XR is recorded on that track.]

3. In the Environment window, under the View menu, I've checked the item "Protect Cabling/Positions," and saved both the project and screensets in that mode. So if you try to move anything or re-cable something, nothing will happen. Just deselect this item from the View menu and you can change whatever you'd like.

[I also tried to deselect the "Cables" item in the View menu. While this helped visually, it also got rid of some of my Ornaments clarifying what section was what, so I left the item "Cables" checked.]

4. FYI, in Logic, all these knobs and buttons and menus are generically called "Faders," and I have assigned all "Faders" my customized FANTOM icon. Please see my previous post entitled, "Complete Fantom XR Factory Patch and Performance Logic Environment Layer," where you can download that icon. That post has directions regarding where to put the file on your computer so it can appear in the Icon List in your Inspector in Logic.

5. You may need to do some Audio/MIDI Setup troubleshooting or track assigning (to the appropriate Fantom XR multi-instrument) before all this is up and running on your computer. One thing to be clear about... if you don't already communicate MIDI information to and from your Fantom XR with Logic (via MIDI cables or USB) then this won't automatically communicate with your Fantom XR. You've got to have a Fantom XR in your Audio/MIDI setup, among other things.

6. Environment options: you can insert these Environment layers into all your templates so they're always present, or simply copy and paste from this project any single knob, button, or menu when you need it, into another project. Take it, use it, change it however you'd like.

Ok, if anyone finds mistakes, please post them. I probably missed an incorrect sysex message byte here or there. But make sure the problem isn't on your end first! I'm pretty sure everything here works!

I hope this is a useful tool for anyone who needs it.
The Audacity Works

Re: Complete Logic Pro patch adjustment Environment for Fant

Post by The Audacity Works »

Wow. You're a monster, appillar! Very cool stuff...
appillar

Post by appillar »

Thanks The Audacity Works!

Would love to hear from anyone trying it out, if it's working for them.
jackshoosemusic

Post by jackshoosemusic »

Hi Appillar
Really enjoying the benefits of all your hard work with the patch changes etc fro XR and Logic 8

I have a question you may be able to help.
I want to have the ability to load up a Performance via a program change command in Logic to the XR and then assign 16 individual patches to each part in that 1 performance before saving.

When I load up a Performance and then try to assign individual patches to that performance OR when I try to switch to another Performance XR goes into Edit mode (the wee e appears) and I cant assign sounds nor change the Performance.

Have you any thoughts that could help...the rest is great as Ive not seen any XR environments for Logic and yours is v comprehensive.

Cheers
Ged G
Scotland
appillar

Post by appillar »

Hi Jackshoosemusic,

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been back here 'til now!

This message is divided into two replies. This is reply #1.

Here's a few thoughts. Some may be redundant for you. Take what you need, leave the rest.

Ok...

If you use the Environment layer I created called F-XR Sounds, it includes a multi-instrument called Fantom XR Performances, which makes available all factory user and preset performances, in the order they appear, in the Fantom XR.

[FYI, if your F-XR performance names are customized, you've got to go into Logic and overwrite the names I put in, save that, then place this "new" multi-instrument into the Environment of either a template you usually start from, or into the Environment of each session each time you start a new one. So fun! Also, editing these names is all done in the window called the Multi-Instrument Window, found by one of three ways: 1) double-clicking on the icon of the track assigned to that multi-instrument in the arrange, or 2) clicking above the numbers on the icon of the multi-instrument in the Environment layer, or 3) by right-clicking in that same place and from the menu that appears, choosing "Object Editor," which is, for some UNKNOWN reason, a second name Apple has given to the Multi-Instrument Window.]

Back to the task at hand...

If you create a track in the arrange and assign it to the Fantom XR Performances multi-instrument (with that track chosen, open the library to assign the track to the instrument), then in the Program section of the Track Parameter box in the Inspector of that track you can choose the performance you want, and once the box is checked the F-XR will

1) automatically go to Performance Mode and
2) switch to the performance you chose.

So far so good. Now...

You're thinking, "what about switching patches in the other 15 parts in that performance, IN Logic, and accessing them separately? With what I've set up, you can't switch patches in the other parts, but you can access the parts separately. The reason you can't switch patches in those other parts is because I was limited by Logic's Multi-Instrument Window. If you familiarize yourself with that window, you'll see the instrument created was a Fantom XR in Performance Mode... so the "patches" for this instrument are actually the set of 64 performances... the window does not allow you to then break down these multi-channel "patches" into smaller accessible choices. So, I was only able to set up a Logic Fantom XR Performances multi-instrument to choose whole performances, not their parts. Are there workarounds? Yes. But first, here's what you CAN do with what I've created:

1)You can create 15 other tracks assigned to the Fantom XR Performances multi-instrument,
2) You can consecutively assign each track from MIDI channels 2 to 16, allowing each one to play the next part in the chosen Fantom XR performance,
3) You can then choose any of those tracks in the arrange area and record onto them, where only the current sound in that part of the current Fantom XR performance will be played.

BIG NOTE: To make what I just said happen, don't check the box in the Program section of the Track Parameter Box for channels 2-16. The performance was already chosen on channel 1, right (the Fantom can only play one performance at a time). And you've already assigned these tracks to the Fantom XR Performances multi-instrument, right, which already has a chosen performance. Then for channels 2-16 you've done all you can. Checking that box on tracks (channels) 2-16 does just what you said... it sends the performance into edit mode, which has nothing to do with what you want. It's not changing performances (which is not what you're looking for anyway) because you're sending messages on channels other than channel 1, and it's definitely not changing patches in these other parts because any choices you're making from that pulldown menu in the Program section of the Inspector for that track are not patch choices of separate parts. The E appears because you've sent some "change" message to the Fantom XR on a channel other than 1 and it knows a message to do something arrived, but it has no clue (or way) to do anything with it, except to register (via the E), "yes, I got your message."
appillar

Post by appillar »

THIS IS REPLY #2. See reply #1 first!

So now... workarounds. Here are two:

1) Via the Fantom XR itself: Set up the performance parts ahead of time via the Fantom XR Editor or from the Fantom front panel, and save the performance in the Fantom XR. Then in Logic, on the first Fantom XR track, before the song starts, hit record then check the box in the Program section of the Inspector for that first Fantom XR track (channel 1) so the Fantom changes to both performance mode and the performance you want, again, before your song starts. Save that SysEx recording to your session and then in the future, no matter what mode your Fantom is in, If you open that session and hit play, it will switch to Performance Mode and the performance you want.

2) Changing parts in Logic (tricky!): Example: Maybe your song is playing along with the correct performance having been chosen, as in example 1. Now, in the middle of a song, you want Logic to trigger a PATCH in one part TO CHANGE. Because I haven't learned any other way, I would do it via THREE SysEx messages recorded (or created) into ONE track, and the correct messages are based on what the MIDI Implementation in the back of the Fantom XR Manual tells me.

The messages:

-Every SysEx message for this purpose will start with (hex) FO 41 10 00 6B 12 , as shown in the upper left of page 252 in the Status column. Those bytes are Logic saying, "hey certain Fantom XR, pay attention."

-For all the messages, next will be a byte called 10, which is Logic saying, "I want to affect the Temporary Performance section," as shown on page 252, upper right, third start address under the section called, "1. Fantom-XR (ModelID = 00H 6BH).

-For all the messages, next will be two bytes called 00 20, which is Logic saying, "I want to affect the first part of the current performance," as shown on page 252, one of the last offset addresses in the "Performance" section on the right. (Notice 00 21 is part 2, 00 22 is part 3, 00 23 is part 4, etc. Pick your part!).

-For the FIRST SysEx message only, next will be a byte called 04, which is Logic saying, "the MSB of the bank I want to go to is," as shown on page 256, right column, fifth offset address under section called, "Performance Part." For the SECOND SysEx Message only, next will be a byte called 05, which is Logic saying, "the LSB of the bank I want to go to is," as shown same page, next offset address. For the THIRD SysEx Message only, next will be a byte called 06, which is Logic saying, "in the new bank, I want to change the Patch Program Number to," as shown on same page, next offset address.

-For the FIRST SysEx message only, next will be a byte indicating the MSB of the bank you want, as shown on page 270 in the Bank Select MSB column, followed by a filler byte called 00. I don't know why this extra byte must be there. For the SECOND SysEx Message only, next will be a byte indicating the LSB of the bank you want, as shown on page 270 in the Bank Select LSB column, also followed by a filler byte called 00. For the THIRD message only, next will be a byte indicating the actual patch number you want, (hex) 00-7F (001-128), also followed by a filler byte called 00.

For all messages, next and last is the End Of SysEx byte (EOX byte) called F7. This is Logic saying, "that's all!"

So the three messages will be in your Event list of (actually any track playing the Fantom, since the byte called 20 points to the first part):

Bar Beat Div Tick SysEx Message

1 1 1 1 FO 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 20 04 MSB 00 F7
(Hey certain Fantom XR, in the Temp Performance area, in the first part, I want to change the MSB to this MSB)

1 1 1 2 FO 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 20 05 LSB 00 F7
(Hey certain Fantom XR, in the Temp Performance area, in the first part, I want to change the LSB to this LSB)

1 1 1 3 FO 41 10 00 6B 12 10 00 20 06 Patch 00 F7
(Hey certain Fantom XR, in the Temp Performance area, for the first part of the current performance, I want to change the patch to this)

Ok, I hope that clears things up. I tried this tonight and it worked.
blues1000

Post by blues1000 »

thanks so much for the complete environment. I have a few question on getting my fantom x8 working. I used to use the original mbox as my interface. I also used you're first environment that you posted with just all the patches. I had everything working fine. I recently replaced my mbox with the apogee duet. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the duet but my fantom doesn't seem to want to work with the new interface. My midi is sent through the USB cable on the fantom. Logic still recognizes it. I can record midi and at the bottom bar where you see input and output, the input shows the notes i play on my keyboard but the output never changes. It always says no output. Also when i changes patches within logic the patch changes on my keyboard like they should. So basically my problem is that I'm not getting any output anymore. My audio input is running from the fantom x to the duet through 2 balanced 1/4 cables. Also the gain input meters flash up and down as i play so I know its getting the input, Just not any output. Do you have any ideas that could possibly help me solve this problem. I appreciate any help.

Thanks
Jay.
blues1000

Post by blues1000 »

bfrombmore

Post by bfrombmore »

@blues1000

You have to tell logic to listen to the Fantom X.

Open your mixer. Look to the left and you will see a little plus (+) button. This creates an auxiliary track. Assign the inputs to the AUX track to the inputs of your Duet (should be 1&2) and the outputs to your stereo outs. Go back to the arrange window and play a patch from the Fantom and you will now hear the sounds. I too struggled with this in my early days of learning logic. Enjoy!
ejdribeiro515

Post by ejdribeiro515 »

Hi,

I know that it is a very old question!
I am trying to refurbish an old Mac Air (version 1) that has installed the Logic 7.2 and to connect a Fantom XR. And I am trying to find a Logic iso environment patch to help me out, just because I am an initiated in this subjects. From the file or graphical explanation maybe I could put it working.
I hope that someone could help me.

Best

Eurico (Portugal)