Fantom-S - history of the waveforms

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
2TIM316

Fantom-S - history of the waveforms

Post by 2TIM316 »

From the Roland press releases on the Fantom-S:

"Explore entirely new sonic landscapes with a brand-new 64MB-equivalent wave ROM created just for the Fantom-S/-S88. Painstakingly sampled in world-class studios around the world, these new stereo-sampled waves are the finest building blocks ever offered in a Roland keyboard".

When I demoed the Fantom-S, I heard plenty of new and high-quality waveforms. But I also recognized plenty of "regurgitated" waves from the XVs, many of which were themselves regurgitated from the JVs, many of which were themselves regurgitated from the U-220, etc... from the late 80s.
gtds

Re: Fantom-S - history of the waveforms

Post by gtds »

Yep. Welcome to the world of bullshitting ...er, I mean, advertising.

gtds
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I would be very surprised if Roland did not include their classic waves which I would miss very much.
FatBoyJim

Post by FatBoyJim »

This is not pro or con for the Fantom-S or for Roland but my thinking is this; if you get the sampled waveform done right then why do you have to go back in do it again. Many of these sampled waveforms are of instruments that have not changed themselves in many, many years. What is the old saying, something like there is no need to reinvent the wheel? I’m sure that some if not many of the FS waveforms are new but I would not be surprised nor would I have a problem with it if some of them are not new and go back a few or more products ago.

You the man, Artemio!
gtds

Post by gtds »

I think you mean

"...you can't re-invent the wheel..."

and

"..if it's not broken, don't fix it..."

gtds
FatBoyJim

Post by FatBoyJim »

Thanks for your help, that is what I was trying to say.

You the man, Artemio!
FatBoyJim

Post by FatBoyJim »

Something that I think would be very cool is an expansion board that has nothing on it but waveforms. I don’t care for it to have one patch on it; I want just want the best of Roland’s waveforms.

You the man, Artemio!
Tony Clifton

Post by Tony Clifton »

gtds

I have to chuckle when Yamaha touts the Motif UI as "INTUITIVE" in their ads myself!
Hyperbole exists in most product hyping.
:D
gtds

Post by gtds »

Oh yes! I agree with you entirely. I wasn't suggesting Roland is the only company that does that.
:O)

gtds
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

Yes, I don't know what I would do without Roland's "classic" out-of-tune choir samples and brass sections that sound like a group of allergy sufferers blowing their noses in unison. That's what I'm rushing to pay two grand for! LOL. Plus, these guys are still going to grind an extra $300 or so out of you if you want a decent piano sample, via the SRX-02. Yeah, right.

Artemio - we are definitely making you the poster boy for Roland! You obviously revere this instrument to the exclusion of all others, so I for one support your enthusiasm and can't wait to see you get your Fantom-S!

Cheers!