MZB3 Dual Manual Hammond B3 Emulation V1.7

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
MossyZombie

MZB3 Dual Manual Hammond B3 Emulation V1.7

Post by MossyZombie »

Version 1.7:
After a little break I have now added some features to my B3 emulation that I would like to share with other users. It now includes a controllable volume pedal assigned to CC4 & CC13. I have also done some tweaking and polishing of the whole package.
+ fixed the headroom, I hope

Synopsis:
This is an emulation of sounds and controls of the famous Hammond B3
organ for the Roland Fantom series of workstations, supporting Fantom
X6, X7, X8, S, S-88, Xr and Xa.

It features upper and lower manual of the organ, controllable drawbars,
vibrato/chorus effects, percussion effects for the upper manual, amplifier & Leslie effects and much more, making thousands of different sound combinations possible. The patches use a custom set of sampled waveforms, so loading the waves is required to play any of the performances.

Version 1.7 can be downloaded from here:
http://www.mossyzombie.50webs.com/
Read the README! Any question and feedback will be welcome!

Version 1.7 features:

- Sampled tonewheel sounds for invidual drawbars, sampled from a well known B3 emulation software known for its authentic, high quality tonewheel sound synthesis.
- Controllers assigned for both Upper & Lower manual drawbars!
- Control pedal assigned for the organs swell pedal.
- Sampled 2nd & 3rd percussion from the same source.
- Two manuals on different midi channels.
- Delay & Reverb on/off
- Overdrive control
- Uses 7 Parts & all 3 MFX processors.
- 30 Performances
- 50 RPS based Registrations

RPS features:
- Vibrato/Chorus with V1, V2, V3, C1, C2, C3. Can be switched on/off
independently for upper & lower manual.
- Percussion with 2nd & 3rd.
- Percussion Volume settings with SOFT/NORM, decay with FAST/SLOW settings.
- Percussion MONO/POLY settings.
- Leslie brake & run switch.
- Rotary speaker / Guitar amp speaker switch.
- RPS pattern based preset system.
- Text based user interface.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: MZB3 Dual Manual Hammond B3 Emulation V1.7

Post by Artemiy »

Sampled tonewheel sounds for invidual drawbars, sampled from a well known B3 emulation software known for its authentic, high quality tonewheel sound synthesis.
You need to be very careful with this - unless you've created your own sounds with this software and not just sampled the presets.

Is this going to be a commercial product?
MossyZombie

Post by MossyZombie »

It will be freeware, maybe with donation option possibly. I dont know about copyrights in this area, as the sounds are 'synthesized' in the software and not sampled from anything. They are just the raw sines.

EDIT: I have sampled sine waves synthesized by this software, all the presets are programmed using these waves.
This is the main idea of this emulation, to use 'dirty' sinewaves instead the clean internal ones like in B4Real.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

If you made those sounds from scratch using the software, then surely it is your creation. You just have to stay away from sampling preset sounds which are usually copyrighted by the software makers.

I'll be glad to put your files for download in your library, and do not hesitate to put the donation info inside a text file in the download.
MossyZombie

Post by MossyZombie »

Thanks Artemiy! All the presets are programmed by me of course.

The presets in this emulation are actually just patterns containing sysex data that tells each patch the correct TVA level = how far the drawbar has been pulled.

There is set of RPS patterns assigned to the upper and lower octaves of the keyboard that can be used to program the drawbars. When you press that key down it will display the drawbar value as the performance name and it will cycle through 0-8.

After programming the drawbars, it is easy to record it as a preset. The first 50 patterns have sysex dump messages, that will record the TVA levels to the pattern. So saving a preset is literally as easy as hitting the REC button!
MossyZombie

Post by MossyZombie »

Version 1.0 release.
http://www.mossyzombie.50webs.com/
Any feedback will be welcome.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Great, thanks! I have just put it into our library.
MossyZombie

Post by MossyZombie »

Sure! The readme has all the info. I will update it once in a while, I will announce the new versions in this topic.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Thanks! Please feel free to contact me directly in case you make an update.
karlosserio

Post by karlosserio »

I have a Fantom XR, and i would be thankful if you could post a step-by-step process of using these sounds. I'm new to RPS, and i have no clue to how this works; i did try to load the library and i was sucessfull in loading the individual patches and creating a user template with all 7 programs, in performance mode. What i couldn't do is change presets, or put the damper pedal trigering the leslie effects... well if you could give me a detailed tutorial. Thanks!
MossyZombie

Post by MossyZombie »

The problem is that the XR doesnt have RPS which is a feature of the sequencer in the keyboard Fantoms. This emulation works by changing the performance in realtime with sysex data stored in these RPS patterns.

But I can create a workaround for all the XR users, I could "render" some of the most usefull Hammond sounds simply by programming them using the RPS and then simply save them as patches & performances. This will be in the next version so you will have to wait. But thanks informing me about this, I wasnt even aware of this problem until now.
wudsiba

Post by wudsiba »

Thanks for doing this! The only problem I have with this is with this line here: "Copy the contents of this archive to a empty Fantom formatted memory card." By the way, I use a CF card reader/writer.
I have gone for years without ever learning how to do this. I always just end up loading all of the samples and building a multisample myself. If you could give detailed instructions, I would greatly appriciate it. If I actually figure it out, I'd be happy to make a small contribution. In a way... I guess I'm bribing you.
Also I have my Fantom X set up to have WAV files as the default. Do I need to change this? Which brings me to a question I've always wondered about. Can you use both WAV and AIFF files at the same time? I have completely avoided AIFF files until now.
brianb

Post by brianb »

MossyZombie,

Kudos & accolades! Great samples and the RPS work you have done is VERY impressive. As soon as I am employed again I will definitely donate to your cause. Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing with us.

Brian B
MossyZombie

Post by MossyZombie »

wudsiba:

"Copy the contents of this archive to a empty Fantom formatted memory card."

I could try to simplify this:

1. Just format a memory card in the Fantom. (check the manual of your Fantom)
2. Take it to your computer, delete EVERYTHING on the card.
3. Copy paste the all the files in the archive to the card.

I think you could just format the card in the computer also, but my way will be 100% combatible.

"Can you use both WAV and AIFF files at the same time? I have completely avoided AIFF files until now. "

Yes you can. WAV and AIFF are just import formats. Once you import them they will work.

Brian B:

Thank you! This work wouldnt be possible without such a friendly community as this. Also all the tips & tricks archived here really proved themself in this emulation.
SonicMan

Post by SonicMan »

Cant i just load the song into the fantom ?