Nasty Fantom-S Reviews

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Nasty Fantom-S Reviews

Post by Artemiy »

Yeah those review seems to be well-prepared (and well-paid?) against Roland.

I mean, these guys didn't give ANY arguments for their facts of not-liking the Fanrom-S.

I agree with Gonk - they didn't even mention it's most great and innovative features. Are they blind or deaf? :-)
lekanut

Post by lekanut »

here's what i wrote in the motifator site:
Here's my point of view!
I thought it was interesting to sell my motif to buy a fantom s ( i love this new roland os )but i decided to keep it because:
-the fantom s sound palette is not as good and versatile as the motif sound palette...exept if you spend money again and again to buy the SRX cards!(thanks roland to make us spend so much money...)
-64 voices polyphony is a big problem!I put the piano PLG and the AN,and i will buy the drum PLG in the motif(more than 160 voices polyphony!!!) and for sequencing the motif is a killer!!!!!!the fantom is out!!!!!!(i imagine the problem in a song with the SRX piano sound,the orchestral card,a complete drum track and a pad....)i think with all the waveform layers you can't work good in a fantom with only 64 voices polyphony!!!!!!!!and having all these SRX possibilities don't mean nothing if you can't work with!
-motif pianos and eps are always the best!!!!!!!and i'm personnally a keyboard player!!!!!
-sequencing with the motif is not so hard and the editing possibilities are ok!
-the motif is really well built!!!a real proffessionnal machine(i'ts important!no?)
-the motifator site is the best synthsite in the world!!
So why spending money for a worstation not better like the fantom?
I FOUND A SOLUTION:
Keeping my motif and buying a MC909!
The advantages:
The fabulous roland new os,the pads,etc.....and MY FABULOUS
MOTIF
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I'm glad you like your motif - everyone should stay with the things he enjoys working with.

I wasn't saying that Fantom-S is a workstation for everybody, and I won't lie saying it can do everything.

Motif is a good keyboard, but for me - Fantom-S feels and sounds better. It doesn't matter to me that it can have polyphony isues and doesn't read akai data. I love this keyboard and I will rock with it - that's what DOES matter.

Motifator is a good site, but pretty messed up with graphics. And you have to pay for almost everything there. Our fantom-s site will include everything for free.

I don't think we should ever be comparing different keyboards - it wil always be a question of taste.

You won't ever make someone buy a synth that he doesn't feel good with, unless this person is a complete fool.

Good luck!
lekanut

Post by lekanut »

thanks for your respect!I hope my last message wasn't agressive for fantom s users....i'm delused by the new fantom s
because i expected more from roland like i said...and i wanted to buy it because i always love roland products!(i'm working on a VS1680 with DS90,i've got a VP9000...and i used a XV3080,aMC 505,a D50,a XP80)
I just wanted to put the fantom s as the center of my studio and i can't only because with roland yo have to pay more...(ex for more polyphony,buy a XV5080!!!)
i love "all in one" products
And roland company has the technology to do more but a bad marketing strategy for musicians who can't spend so much!!!
here's what i think!!!
Gonk

Post by Gonk »

"......exept if you spend money again and again to buy the SRX cards!(thanks roland to make us spend so much money...)
...I put the piano PLG and the AN,and i will buy the drum PLG in the motif..."

With all due respect, is there an inconsistency here?

The voice problem in the Fantom-S can be improved by the ever so easy sampling. Besides, the XV-2020 is about the same price as two SRX cards, and you get 64 more voices and more expansion. As long as it integrates well with the FS, it should be a viable solution.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I agree with Gonk - polyphony is not that an issue.

You can make a lush part and then sample it, saving 62 voices. Then make another one and sample it again, and you still have 60 voices left.

What is very important - you can still route sampled parts to effects, thus having total sound control over them, despite that you sampled them.
lekanut

Post by lekanut »

OK!with the plg piano card i have new sounds and 64 voices polyphony in more,with the an 5 more,and with the drum card 32 more!the difference between the SRX is (voices are a question of taste...)that it changes the power of the instrument (new synthesis,polyphony...)and don't give only new sounds....
For the sampling argument,i know that!(and the motif can do that too....)but more you sample ,and more bad is the quality....it depends how you sample and what you do with...for me sampling to save polyphony is not a advantage when you can have the same results without...
But I have to say honesty that i know how the fantom s is a good synth and the pleasure you have to work with!!!
My problems are only my personal point of view because i bougth a motif before...
(sorry for my bad english..)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I agree with all your statements doubtlessly, especially with the last one: "the fantom s is a good synth and the pleasure you have to work with!!!" :-)

People have done magic with 32 voices. And you're telling me...

:-)

Happy music making.