exporting audio tracks from Fantom X6 to Sonar

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Patrick_

exporting audio tracks from Fantom X6 to Sonar

Post by Patrick_ »

I'm interested in how anyone using both Sonar and Fantom imports audio files back and forth between the two. I have a firewire audio/midi interface(Focusrite Pro 24 DSP) with SPDIF.
My primary instrument is guitar, though I play keys as well. Basically I'm putting together tracks with vocals, guitar(both acoustic and electric) and tracks from the Fantom. I find it's easier to use the pre-recorded tracks with MIDI tracks from the Fantom in case I want to change the patches in the MIDI tracks. My procedure at this time is to record the audio tracks in the Fantom, save to CF card and then import them into the PC for further editing. I'm wondering how anyone else does the same thing.
SkylineUK

Re: exporting audio tracks from Fantom X6 to Sonar

Post by SkylineUK »

I have Sonar and the X6 and I'm also primarily a guitarist.
I record audio and MIDI tracks in Sonar. The MIDI tracks' outputs are to the X6 so I can swap patches at will from within each Sonar MIDI track.
I record any audio from the X6 back into Sonar via audio cables connected from the Fantom to my PC. I think this is the orthodox way of doing things. I'm not clear as to why you record audio into the Fantom.

John
Patrick_

Re: exporting audio tracks from Fantom X6 to Sonar

Post by Patrick_ »

Thanks for your reply, SkylineUK.
I recorded audio into the Fantom because I can. There are those inputs in the back. I have a Roland VS880, and together with my interface and the X6 that's three pieces of equipment with SPDIF in and out. I'm just looking for new ways of doing things. Consider that the weird calliope sound in the Beatles "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" was made because George Martin decided to chop up a reel tape of calliope music and then splice it back together randomly. Not something that most would think of doing but the results are legendary. I dunno. Once your music starts sounding just like everybody else's, maybe it's time to try something different.