My Fantom X8 is not constantly recording?! please help

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
geniusd

My Fantom X8 is not constantly recording?! please help

Post by geniusd »

Hi,

I got the fantom x8 because of its feature to constantly capture anything that comes to your mind. Well I keep playing things on the piano, and then I click play, and it is playing some factory made beat, over and over. Is something wrong in my settings?

Could anyone help me out with this?

Thanks!
johnnykeys1978

Re: My Fantom X8 is not constantly recording?! please help

Post by johnnykeys1978 »

you're thinking of the brightly blue lit button labeled Skip Back Sampling.

Play something and press that and see what happens ... :D
Peace,
JK
geniusd

Post by geniusd »

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I tried that and it is still playing some file called "start chillin" which I am assuming is some factory installed beat. I played something and hit skip back sampling and same old beat playing. Anything else you could recommend? maybe I should go in and delete these factory songs?

Please help, this is driving me crazy
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Hi Geniusd!

Press the MENU button found to the lower left of the screen.

Navigate to SYSTEM.

Hold the [F2] button until the 'StartUp' option is highlighted.

Choose the OFF option for loading 'Preset Smaples', 'User Samples', and 'Demo Songs' at start-up.

That will give you a clean slate to work with. You can always restore these settings later if you wish.

Cheers!
PiaKnowGuy
Please feel free to listen to Pirates
PiaKnow
geniusd

Post by geniusd »

I am really glad I joined this forum, its really helpful.
Thank you very much piaknowguy! That was very helpful information, but now I am having another issue. Finally that song has quit playing after I made the system changes you described in your reply. The issue I am having now is that nothing is playing at all, I am playing a few chords and I hit play, and nothing. Not sure if another one of my settings is off? I had already restored the piano to its factory settings, so I am not sure what is wrong.

Got any ideas?

Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to read the post.
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Check your Skip-back Sampling time. You can do this by navigating to the Sampling option located just above the StartUp option in the SYSTEM menu.

Remember, the skipback function records at all times chronologically. That means if the skipback sampling is set to 10 seconds, for example, and you have 10 seconds of silence after your playing before you press the button, you will hear nothing. If you wait 7 seconds, you will hear 3 seconds of your performance towards the end of your sample. Sampling time can be set to a maximum time of 30 seconds.

I might suggest going to this page and choosing the Support tab. It contains a number of useful PDF files that take you through a step-by-step walkthrough on simple recording procedures.

Cheers!
PiaKnowGuy
Please feel free to listen to Pirates
PiaKnow
Gino

Post by Gino »

Hi Geniusd,
Not sure if you are doing this or not, when you say you are hitting play, you're not hitting the sequencer play button are you ?
try playing some piano, then pressing the blue lit skip back sampling button, then hold down the F8 button to hear what you just recorded.

regards,
geniusd

Post by geniusd »

That worked, thank you so much for replying Gino!

Few concerns:
I had to wait nearly 20 seconds or longer for me to hear what I had played.

I went into the options to see my settings and I believe they are all set to 0ms, unless I am missing one somewhere? Any solutions?

and am I supposed to see any imagery of a recording on the f8 play back in skip back sampling?

Thanks so much! I am new at this, and really just trying to get comfortable with the basics.

p.s. thanks for the online manual paiknowguy