Question about D- Beam as pitch bend

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Karmafied

Question about D- Beam as pitch bend

Post by Karmafied »

Hi friends, recently i make a leadsound emulation of the Liquid T Lead of the Kurzweil K2600,but in order to obtain a great emulation i need to obtain 2 ways for Pitch bend...originaly in the Kurzweil you can use the pitchbend wheel for +2 -12 bends and a large ribbon for +12 or + 24 bends (aka dive bombs) i tried to make the same thing but with the D-beam, but i dont have good results`. I set the data in the D-beam assignable section and set the value data for +12 but when i use the beam always make a +2 bend,maybe due the Pitch assign in edit mode... My question is if anyone knows how can i make bends with the beam and the joystick with diferent value data for each one .

Thanks for the info
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Question about D- Beam as pitch bend

Post by Artemiy »

The pitch bender can have a range up to -48...+48 semitones, which cab give you a pitch slide over 9 octaves.

If you want to use the D-beam as pitch controller, hit Shift+ASIGNABLE of the D-Beam and look up which CC# it is set to. The hit EDIT, go to CTRL 1, set source to the D-Beam control CC#, set destination to pitch and adjust depth as needed.
sambasevam

Post by sambasevam »

correct me if i'm wrong....but......

-48 to +48 would be 6 octaves, not 9,,right???

and they shoulda provided it a lil more flexible (which may not be usable) like.....for -X the values can only be negative and for +X it can only be positive...if they had it for both negative and positive values for both the axes(LE could do it)
it could be a lil more flexible...well...who wants it anyway??

(we can always use the matrix control to do it...here too...they offer only pitch bend as a whole...not two different axes...flexibility issue again...)

Sambasevam.S
sambasevam

Post by sambasevam »

u know what.....

by people asking questions.... we get to know that we can also do it in this synth....like opening a new world of ideas and possibilities are accomplished by asking questions....

i never thought the D-beam could be used for a pitch bend...of course i know it can....but i didnt think about using it....now that kaarmafied has asked about it...his asking has helped me too......:-)

great!!

Sambasevam.S
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Sambasevam:

1. -48..+48 is a range of 9 octaves: count by fingers: -48,. -36, -24, -12, 0, +12, +24, +36, +48. I got nine. And you? ;-)

2. Yes, of course it's nice when both the person who asked and the one who anwsered learned something. That'a a feature of a nice forum ;-)
sambasevam

Post by sambasevam »

oops....

the genius is right again....

(i am a lil weak in math...sorry...;-))

BTW art, dont u get atleast one thing wrong..???how come u r always right??? grr....i thought i found a thing wrong and u lemme down....kiddin'

'u the man art!!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

;-)
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Maybe I can help sambasevan. :-)

-48 to +48 semi-tones is actually an 8 octave range. Here's why.

-48 to -36 is octave 1.
-36 to -24 is octave 2.
-24 to -12 is octave 3.
-12 to 0 is octave 4.
0 to 12 is octave 5.
12 to 24 is octave 6.
24 to 36 is octave 7.
36 to 48 is octave 8.

i.e. the "distance" between the "points" (-48 to -36, etc) counts as an octave, not the points themselves. Mathematically...

( | -48 | + | 48 | ) / 12 = 8

Breakdown of above equation:

| -48 | : the absolute value of the number of semi-tones down from center (i.e. 48 semi-tones).

| 48 | : the absolute value of the number of semi-tones up from center (i.e. 48 semi-tones).

( | -48 | + | 48 | ) : the sum of the absolute values of the number of semi-tones from the center (i.e. 96 semi-tones).

12 : the number of semi-tones in an octave.

So we have 96 / 12 (96 divided by 12) which equals 8 octaves difference between -48 and 48.

Sorry Artemio. ;-)

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
http://www.nathansheldon.com/
Karmafied

Post by Karmafied »

Hi, well unfortunately i dont have my fantom near but i have another question for artemio, if a i make the changes as you tell me (many thanks), can i have Two pitch bend sources??

`cause i want to have the first pitchbend source in Jostick with +2 and - 12
and the second source with the Beam with +24 and -24

its posible???

Many thanks again
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, Karmafied, you can have as many controllers routed to control pitch as you want and they can be used simultaneously. This is the power of Matrix Control®™ ;-)
Karmafied

Post by Karmafied »

Many thanks Artemio i can make the double pitch bend assign, unforttunately the D-Beam only make a 1 octave jumps but i can experiment for obtain the 2 octaves bends, many thanks again.

: )
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

You CAN sweep over more than one octave - each source in Matrix Control can have up to 4 destinations, which means that you can send the D-Beam to pitch four times in four destinations and this will give you more depth in pitch control.
Civo

Post by Civo »

Artemiy wrote: 09:12, 25 July 2004 The pitch bender can have a range up to -48...+48 semitones, which cab give you a pitch slide over 9 octaves.

If you want to use the D-beam as pitch controller, hit Shift+ASIGNABLE of the D-Beam and look up which CC# it is set to. The hit EDIT, go to CTRL 1, set source to the D-Beam control CC#, set destination to pitch and adjust depth as needed.
Greetings,

First of all, thank you for the detailed answers.
However, I must admit I don't understanbd this part : "The hit EDIT, go to CTRL 1, set source to the D-Beam control CC#, set destination to pitch and adjust depth as needed."

Here is what I did :
When I want to set the D-Beam as pitch controller by hitting "shift+ASSIGNABLE", the "Type" shows [BEND UP] and the values of [Range Min] and [Range Max] are set respectively to 0 and 127.
But when using the D-Beam on my performance, it bends up any pressed key by 2 semitones only.

Am I missing something ?

Thank you.