Sharp acoustic clicking noise on some X7 keys - Normal?

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
nsheldon

Re: Sharp acoustic clicking noise on some X7 keys - Normal?

Post by nsheldon »

Hi Arjan.

Though I know you didn't ask for advice on this, :-) if it were me, I would send it back and have them replace the X7. If it turns out that the new X7 exhibits the same sounds from the keys, than I'd keep the new X7 and not bother with returning it again. But at least I would have given the return a try before resigning myself to accepting the defect.

But, I'm not you. :-) Just a though.

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
http://www.nathansheldon.com/
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

Thanks for the unsolicited advice Nathan ;-) I will be going back to the dealer (he's only 1 minute walking from here) to discuss my options and perhaps try to get a Roland tech on the phone again. Both the dealer and Roland Benelux are usually very reasonable so perhaps we can find an arrangement that will be satisfactory.

Perhaps they can send the X7 to the dealer and have me try it right there in the store for a few minutes. Their Dutch representative actually delivers and picks up their shipments to this store himself so if I try the new X7 immediately when they bring it in the store and it turns out to be the same I can have them take the new one and my X7 both back and have them attempt to 'fine tune' my X7 keyboard response.

L8r,
Arjan

22 oktober ToyZ & Kayak LIVE in Speakers, Delft
Listen to http://www.toyz-web.com/mp3/Remember_verse.mp3
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

Well,

I've made an arrangement to visit Roland next Tuesday because I'm hoping that with some individual attention/fine tuning they can turn my X7 into something I'm completely satisfied with. Part of the reason I'm going there is that I also want to have the firmware of my recently acquired D-70 updated and also that of the JP-8000 which does have flash ROM but which I have been unable to update for some reason so the trip won't be for nothing regardless of the outcome.

I'm going to bring my X6 along as well so I can demonstrate the difference between my two machines. And I bet they have one or two X7's there so I can see for myself if what I'm experiencing is 'just' an inherent lack of production quality or something that is unique to mine. I'm going to be seeing one of their top tech people so I have some hope that things will be alright in the end.

McTinus

Post by McTinus »

Arjan,

I'm from Holland and have a X7 (bought 3 months ago). That clicking noise should not be there. The X7 keynoise is as quiet as all my other gear. Roland (or your dealer) should fix this.

Martijn.
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Good luck Arjan. Hope they are able to fix everything for you.

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
http://www.nathansheldon.com/
Arjan

Post by Arjan »

Hi Martijn,

Thanks, I'm sure Roland will do what is needed. The sentence 'X7 keynoise is as quiet as all my other gear' convinces me that what I'm hearing is not quite normal. Apart from my crappy built JP-8000 this is exactly how I would describe all my other keyboards (D-10, D-70, X6, Yamaha P200).

I'll let you guys know the outcome of my visit to Roland. Thanks for all the input everybody.

Arjan

Post by Arjan »

Hi guys,

This story has a happy ending. When I arrived at Roland they compared my X7 to one of theirs and after some testing they admitted that there was a difference in how it sounded. The guy started talking about 'may be within specs' but he didn't dismiss the fact that it was not very pleasing so they opened up my X7.

Inside there was nothing obvious to see that might cause this problem, but with the bottom plate removed the sound was gone. So they simply used some (thin) insulating tape and then screwed it back together again. No difference. Opened it again, some more tape at strategic places (where different plates are pressed together by screws) but no difference again.

I then suggested that perhaps the problem was in my chassis bottom plate itself, rather than in the chassis/damping mechanism. It turned out that their X7 did not have the plastic cover plate in place that covers the RAM/SRX expansion slots.

So we removed this cover from my X7 and presto, the offending sound was gone. We then applied some of this insulating tape on the inside of this plastic cover where it contacts the metal of the X7 bottom plate and this completely eliminated the problem.

I'm probably a bit more picky about sounds than some of their other customers. The different size of the X6/X7 may very well change the resonance frequencies in such a way that the problem does not exist on the X6.

Anyway, I'm completely happy now with my X7. In the end I think it was worth the drive to Roland because if I had just sent it back it's likely that I would have received it without any changes, the problem was just a little too subtle for most.

Thanks everybody for your feedback.