Fantom-S is awesome!

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
swandiver

Fantom-S is awesome!

Post by swandiver »

Got mine on Friday and have been playing with it since. I'm actually getting tendonitis :( So I can't type much. There are some little things that annoy me about it, but TRUST me, the naysayers of the Fantom-S are on crack; I have no idea how someone can say it doesn't sound great or doesn't have great features. So those waiting for it still--have no fear! I'll post a review on HC when I can type more. . .
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Fantom-S is awesome!

Post by Artemiy »

swandiver, please take my congrats on your Fantom-S.

Thanks for your opinion - that's great. I also think those guys are somewhat jerky, as they didn't give any arguments for disliking this or that feature.

Okay now, can YOU help me with getting some more info about it? Mine still has to be awaited, so I really need your help. PLZ! :-) mail me [artemio at artemio.net]
swandiver

Post by swandiver »

I just finished typing a long review for HC; it said it would be posted in a few days. My tendonitis (or is it carpal tunnel)? :( is hurting from the typing so I can't type much more. I didn't think to copy my HC review to give to you, but when it's posted you have my permission to copy it and use it on this website. If you can't wait for my extended HC review, is there a specific question you have?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Thanks.

I'd be really pleased if you answer these questions:

1. Did you try making multisamples - your own instruments from splitting up several sampled notes? Is it possible at all?

2. Are there mic modeling in MFX? What kind of really cool effects are in there?

3. How do pads feel? Can you input number data with them? Or just A-Z letters?

Please be short if you really feel bad with your hand - I frankly wish you to feel better.

Thanks again and good luck!
swandiver

Post by swandiver »

1. I know you can make multisamples, but I haven't tried yet, or even got to that part of the manual yet. There's a LOT to read and understand about this machine! :) I hope to try that by the end of this weekend.

2. I *think* you can input number data with the pads since they have numbers under them, but I didn't think to look at that possibility yet. Pads feel nice, though. I turned the velocity sensitivity off and they seem to work much better than way, but maybe I could adjust the velocity curve (I didn't think to check).

3. Don't remember if there is mic modeling as an effect. LOTS of others--too many to tell. You'll have lots of nice choices, though (77?) including multi-effects (e.g. phaser-chorus might count as one).
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Thanks very much, swandiver.

What is interesting too is - does the flashy look and backlit pads annoy you somehow? Or Fantom-S attracts you to *play* rather than to get lost in it's lights and buttons?

I wish you good luck with your Fantom-S.
Farhan

Post by Farhan »

Hi swandiver,
What you paid for Fantom S 88. I am also looking to buy one.

thanks,
swandiver

Post by swandiver »

I'm not distracted in the slightest by all the blinking lights. I think they're cool. :)
But that's just me. I've been having GREAT fun playing with the pads and assigning rythyms to them. But those are only stored in performances, :( so I need to get a card soon.

I paid 2095 for the Fantom-S 61-note version.
swandiver

Post by swandiver »

By the way, my full review is up at HC now:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Da ... -S-01.html
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

swandiver, great review, thanks.

Well, I agree with you mostly - 256 performances, 512 patches in user slots would be great.

As about ROM - you know, you can still get an SRX board. It's even better - you will not necessarily use 100% of the waves in ROM, because most of them are "general purpose" sounds. But with SRX, you get the sounds you want exactly (well, almost :-) ).

I'm telling that basing on my experience with XP-80 and three SR-JV80 exp. boards - I use 80-90 waves out of 448 in ROM, and almost 100% of waves on the boards.

Greetings again and good luck.