I like the fantom S but ....

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
NY2G

Post by NY2G »

Roland always manages to do something that makes no sense. I filled my machine with 288 mb of ram. I expected, I would be able to see this on my mac via usb for saving and transfering files. NO. All you get is a 16 meg chunk to transfer and save. I asked roland how do I back up my files, and they said buy smartmedia. Ok that is all fine and well, but the unit only supports 128mb of smartmedia. When I asked roland about that they said, " why would you want to use that many samples anyway? Are you trying to use it as a hard disk recorder?" and then they said "use 2 smartmedia cards." Well besides the fact that even 2 empty cards couldn't store a fully loaded machine, why should I have to buy a different smartmedia card for different ocassions when I have an 80gb drive on my mac? I have a K2600xs, when I fill it up with samples I can save via scsi. As outdated as that might seem it works, and it's much faster. Same thing for the motif, smartmedia or scsi. If Roland is only going to offer smartmedia and say use the compter, we should be able to use the computer for storage not just file transfer. Am I trying to use it as a hard disk recorder, no, but why even tell me I can put 288mb in the machine if I can't save the data. Other than that I really like the piece, but the response I got from the tech today had me fuming....

Roland you need to fix this in an OS update. You really should have put a host controller on the machine so we could have used usb drives w/o computers in the first place, but since you didn't,........ fix it!!!

Rant Over... back to playing (but not saving :) )
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: I like the fantom S but ....

Post by Artemiy »

I agree with you - this is not convenient at all.

They should have made it capable of reading USB drives standalone. It is not that hard to include USB drive support. I'd even trade d-beam for this :-)

However, it's somewhat technologically natural - you can't see DIMM RAM as a USB drive that easily. Fantom-S has 16Mb flash RAM - that is what you can use for data transfer.

Anyway, if you have a smart media card - I think you can access all it's data from your PC from Fantom-S.
Togetit

Post by Togetit »

Yes you r right, roland should have given an host USb support or atlest AKAI cd support.

It is such an excellent machine but you cannot load akai or roland samples, such an SHAME.

I hope the next OS update will privde AKAI reading.

It is an must for every musician.

I stronly fell that all the FANTOM S/S88 owners should request or rather fight for this request.

You have everything but still got nothing ,
since Fantom S / S88 cannot read Akai or ROLAND cd roms.

What do you guys feel.