Fantom X transmitting MIDI program changes

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
goatghost

Fantom X transmitting MIDI program changes

Post by goatghost »

Hey all...

I have a Fantom X7 connected to a Keith McMillen 12 Step MIDI foot controller (bass pedals, basically). The 12 Step is on channel 1, as is the Fantox base channel. I'm trying to determine if the Fantom transmits program change messages in performance mode when one scrolls through performances. There is an LED ON the 12 Step which is showing activity when I change performances on the Fantom, and I am assuming this activity is program change messages, but I can't be sure.

I tried downloading a couple of freeware MIDI sniffers to see what was coming out of the Fantom, but I couldn't get them to work with my laptop.

I have enabled transmitting MIDI program changes within the Fantom System menu.

I'm not too familiar with MIDI bank change messages (MSB and LSB) and the 12 Step documentation isn't too descriptive about that aspect of the device. The Fantom, on the other hand, has like 10 pages of HEX, which is all Greek to me.

When I bring up a performance, I can go into the External menu, and there are various options to select channel, bank, and program. Does this determine what is TRANSMITTED from the Fantox or what is RECEIVED?

Is there like a "base" or "standard" bank which most devices use? Do performances use predefined banks (e.g. Bank 1 for Preset, Bank 2 for User, Bank 3 for Card)? Do patches in Patch Mode use predefined banks, as well (and are program changes transmitted/ received in Patch Mode, as well)?

I've programmed the 12 Step to respond to program changes messages, but it just sits there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! :-)
Andy Keys

Re: Fantom X transmitting MIDI program changes

Post by Andy Keys »

Hey goatghost, I believe the External page of a Performance sets what BS (MSB, LSB) and PC messages are sent when Performance is selected on the Fantom. If the receiving device only has one bank of presets, try leaving the MSB and LSB fields blank.

Also, scan through the MIDI implementation of the 12 step's manual to see if it refers to it needing to receive any specific BS messages.

That pedal looks really cool - I'll be investigating it further, so thanks for sharing!

Hope this helps, but let us know.
Cheers
Andy
goatghost

Post by goatghost »

Hey Andy...thanks for the reply!

I was able to connect the Fantom to another MIDI device I own (a TC Helicon Voicelive Touch) and I found that the Fantom does, indeed, send program change messages when I scroll through the various performances. So, the issue appears to be with either the 12 Step configuration or me having to define which bank messages are being sent by the Fantom. At least, I know the Fantom is sending those messages, which makes troubleshooting a LOT easier. :-)

Please do check out the 12 Step. It's an amazing device. I had a set of conventional bass pedals (MIDI Step pedals), but I wanted something more lightweight and transportable. The small footprint of the 12 Step is incredible. You can, literally, just toss it in your keyboard bag/case. Plus, its most useful feature is the ability to program chords for individual keys for each preset. So, you can play up to 12 chords of your choosing (for each preset) by using your feet. The device has a bunch of other real-time control features, as well (velocity, aftertouch, etc.).

Mine cost $249 (£154), plus $49 (£30) for the MIDI Expander, which allows you to connect the device to your MIDI gear (it, normally, uses a USB port for connection to a computer).

It does take some getting used to, if you've used conventional bass pedals, in the past. But, it's definitely a great little device.

Check it out, sometime. :-)
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Great stuff, I will, thanks. Did you manage to get the 12 step working with the Fantom?
goatghost

Post by goatghost »

Not yet, as far as program changes are concerned. I posted a message on their support board so, hopefully, I'll hear back from them, this week. I'll post the results here, once I find out.

It works great with the Fantom, otherwise.
homersaurus1

Post by homersaurus1 »

Hi. I realize this is an old post, but noticed there was no solution so I thought I'd post one in case someone else is looking for an answer on this.

The 12 Step can only accept program changes on channel 16. I got this to work by setting up performance patches on the Fantom and making sure part 16 is selected to be on (not sure if this is necessary, but it was the only way I could get it to work).

Then click on Part View and External. You'll see Bank Sel and Prog. On part 16, just put the number of the program you want on the 12 Step in the Prog area and leave the rest alone and save it.

Now when you select that Performace Patch, it will automatically change the patch on the 12 Step.