Fantom X OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
csjr9

Fantom X OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Post by csjr9 »

Am I the only one who is utterly pissed with the fact that Roland will not make an updated driver so that I am able to use my fantom x with OSX mavericks 10.9. I have been an owner of the FA 76, Fantom S and Fantom X until i jumped to software. It's a shame that a world renowned company like Roland cannot support it's customer base. So now that I have updated my computer Roland tells me that my Fantom X is useless. I see that the Fantom G owners gripped and Roland finally released an update but I guess us Fantom X owners are not as important. This is just inconceivable at the least and down right unethical over all. I'd just like to say thank you Roland for all that you do....

PS: Anyone find a work around...? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
flyingace

Re: Fantom X OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Post by flyingace »

I was equally disappointed to find that Roland was no longer supporting my Juno Stage with any future driver or software updates. I have to use generic driver and a usb/midi interface. It's working fine for now, but I haven't attempted more than just loading sounds, i'll be interested to see if I can use the keyboard well with my DAW.
Enter

Post by Enter »

Hello guys, it's my first post so first of all I would like to greet everyone from Poland :)

Today I faced the same problem as csjr9 descriped and after some testing, installing, etc. I found the perfect solution for Mavericks, but starting from beginning...

I have Fantom X6 without this super-duper extenstion card and OS 2.0, so drivers for Mountain Lion wasn't for me. Anyway, I couldn't even install this driver because of a compatibility error. My second attempt was to install 10.7 driver, 'cause it's the last driver for my Fantom's OS. Unfortunately, package installer showed an error with magical number 16 (I don't know even what does it mean).

The last chance - driver for old OS X 10.6 and... Hallelujah! After rebooting my Mac everything seems to work properly. MIDI Configurator shows Fantom instantly with in and out ports, MIDI Monitor app recognizes every byte and I couldn't keep it just for myself so after searching I registered to forum and wrote this magic solution :D

The driver is available on rolandus.com in Fantom X Download section - here's link for this driver: http://www.rolandus.com/support/eula/Fa ... 6_v100.zip
zephonic

Post by zephonic »

Yup, works for me too. Thanks for the tip!

Weird, as Roland US support specifically stated that the 10.6 driver would not work with 64-bit kernel...
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

I have 18 of them. I will definitely try it out but I'm afraid we will replace them with Korgs...
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Did not work for my Fantom XR under 10.9.4
shagr4th

Post by shagr4th »

The 10.6 driver works fine with Mavericks, thanks ! But did anyone tried it on the latest OSX version, Yosemite 10.10 ?
donpaluh

Post by donpaluh »

Put me on the list of bummed users.

I purchased the X8 as the top-of-the line unit not long before the G8 came out. So I really feel that I got robbed in that I had an old model right away, and literally one model later they stopped supporting the OS. Now we have 10.10 and who knows going forward. And with only a handful of us mentioning it on the forum, I don't think Roland will feel at all compelled to come out with a driver for us. I will definitely look at the track record of the other manufacturers to see if they support their keyboards longer. Note to Roland: I'm not only looking at keyboards, but also and electronic drum set. And as the "techie" in my circle, a lot of students and other musicians ask me what to buy, so there are consequences for your lack of support that go beyond the few of us posting.
Fantomtom

Post by Fantomtom »

The USB file transfer from/to Fantom X is class-compliant. Because of this fact, we do not need drivers for this and the file transfer is future-proofed (at least for the coming years). The only driver-dependent thing is MIDI via USB. Because the Fantom has true MIDI connectors, it is not the biggest problem to purchase a USB/MIDI cable for a few Euros/Dollars. I'm relaxed so far.
shagr4th

Post by shagr4th »

answering my own question for those interested : the 10.6 driver still works with Yosemite !
shagr4th

Post by shagr4th »

no luck with el capitan though :\

update : I disabled the SIP and it's better !
Credo

Post by Credo »

Why all the hate to Roland, but none for Apple for dropping PPC and M68 support?

On Windows I can still run software made in the early 1980s.
Apple on purposely alienated everyone who ever purchased one of the overpriced Power PC Macs (I was one of them). It is particularly unnerving because those of us who got a PPC in the first place wanted the stability that comes with fewer, but better hardware/driver options.

Roland ALREADY made a perfectly viable Fantom Editor for Apple, and Apple abandoned its own platform, then abandoned its own OS kernel, and then totally dropped legacy product support. So why does Apple get to abandon legacy support and still every Mac user 'hearts their Apple computer', but if others drop legacy support....Apple is still the mother lover...but all curses to anyone else that sold a few thousand gadgets at low profit margins 20 years ago.........

Roland still offers all the old software and most of it is still working in new versions of Windows.

Have you tried it in Wine or on a VM on your Mac? That's supposed to be a big Apple selling point....that you can ALSO run 'Winblows and Unix software".

If you can get the editors working in Wine or a VM, but no luck with the MIDI driver, you could always use a standard MIDI port rather than the USB one.
jblongz

Post by jblongz »

PPC needed to go. Why maintain old IBM code for discontinued processors? Roland is a veteran in the business. If its about cost, then they should charge for the driver rather than let the products go stale. Still, its their decision to make...just unfortunate for many.
debrascouch

Post by debrascouch »

shagr4th wrote:answering my own question for those interested : the 10.6 driver still works with Yosemite !
Thank God... I was here freaking out my keyboard was going to be invalid after switching to my new computer. I even tried looting my old computer for my old USB drivers and pref panes. Of course that did not work.

10.6 Fantom driver does work! Thanks to the person who effortlessly went through all of the drivers to find the one that works.

And yes, shame on Roland. I was thinking about buying another one of their products but this incident has made me scared.
geoffrob

Post by geoffrob »

shagr4th wrote:
answering my own question for those interested : the 10.6 driver still works with Yosemite !
Do you have a link to this driver? - or are you able to upload it?

thanks,
Geoff