FREE : put a DX7 in your Fantom X!

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
gcoudert67

FREE : put a DX7 in your Fantom X!

Post by gcoudert67 »

Hi!

I have just created a Fantom X bank of genuine Yamaha DX7 patches. Before I sold my old, trusty 1983 DX7 Mark 1 a few years back, I sampled my favourite sounds (mine and slightly modified presets) into my Akai S5000. I have just got those samples out of the Akai and into the Fantom and I thought I would share the bank with you. The patches are based on multisamples made from 135 samples. The sounds were sampled at every F# key. My VeloTines patch is a very expressive velocity-switched sound made from 4 multisamples at 4 different velocity levels (20 samples); the velocity thresholds were adjusted to my playing on a Fantom X8 so you may have to re-adjust them to your liking. You will need more than the standard 32Mb sample RAM to load all the sounds.

Patches:
Airy Pad, Airy Pad Stereo, Anarezo, Bass 01, Bass 02, Block, Env Koto, Glide Pad, Glide Pad Stereo, Airy Glide, Long Harp, Short Harp, Jupiter Strings, Karimba, Kenjo-Ji, Kenjo-Ji Stereo, Koto, PrSynBass, Pseudo Guitar, Pseudo Guitar Stereo, Sitar, Sitar Stereo, Synclavier, Synclavier Stereo, Full Tines, Full Tines Stereo, Tubular Bells, Wire Strung, Woody Wurly, Chorus Wurly, Wurlitzer, Wurlitzer Stereo, Velo Tines.

The stereo versions are doubled, detuned and hard-panned versions of the mono patches. Such stereo sounds could obviously not be achieved on a single DX7, as those machines had a single mono output. I have added a little reverb, delay and/or chorus to some patches.

Known issues:
- 'Env Koto' didn't sample well in the upper registers,
- Some samples are a little noisy ('Full Tines' in particular) but this is only apparent when sustaining many notes simultaneously,
- Some loop points aren't great but they're not really noticeable,
- There is a noticeable click in the Pseudo Guitar F#2 sample. I will check the original sample and post it here if necessary.

This is the link to the zipped file: http://www.gillescoudert.com/sounds/DX7.zip

Merry Christmas!
CesarsoundOne

Re: FREE : put a DX7 in your Fantom X!

Post by CesarsoundOne »

Hi gcoudert67,

Nice work, thanks for you graceful offer.

Merry Christmas.
Julio
Gertje

Post by Gertje »

Old thread, but am grateful and curious.

A) thanks for sharing this!
B) I encountered some of the patches to be sampled or assigned 1 octave up. E.g. the full tines-patches, but there are more of those. Am I correct, and has this been done deliberately?
JUKE179r

Post by JUKE179r »

Thanks for the WAV samples!
Cheers!
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

Gertje wrote:Old thread, but am grateful and curious.

A) thanks for sharing this!
B) I encountered some of the patches to be sampled or assigned 1 octave up. E.g. the full tines-patches, but there are more of those. Am I correct, and has this been done deliberately?
To be honest, I really can't remember. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since I sampled that DX7. Glad you like the samples. I still use them to this day.
old_sport365

Post by old_sport365 »

Hi,

Is it possible to please share those patches with me too? The link you posted up no longer works.

Thank you,
robbie50

Post by robbie50 »

404 - File or directory not found.
Where can I download this DX patch, they are not there anymore! (http://www.gillescoudert.com/sounds/DX7.zip)

Greetings,

Rob
robbie50

Post by robbie50 »

gcoudert67,

Can you open the download again for us?
I really will have your DX7 to Fantom X sounds....or
Have someone else these sounds for me?
please......

rob

Happy 2022!!!!!
battlecate

Post by battlecate »

Hello Everyone!

I used the amazing Wayback Machine to locate the only archived copy of this zip file.

There are far to many of these vintage files that need to be saved from obliteration of time.

I want to start a website just for this type of things, and I am looking into it.

Until that happens here is a direct link to the file courtesy of the WayBack Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20160305112 ... ds/DX7.zip

Best,
--BC
robbie50

Post by robbie50 »

Battlecate,
GREAT! THANKS!!
And a GREAT idea to make a site with these files, sounds!!!!!

Will you let me know when it is "open" and what the adres is?

Greetings and again THANKS!!!!

Rob
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Great find, well done!
battlecate

Post by battlecate »

I have just tested this using a $3 buck 4gig CF card from eBay.

Everything worked correctly.

Bonus!
robbie50

Post by robbie50 »

Battlecate,

But HOW you load it?
When I load it ill get "no more memory"!

Plese tell me how you have done it...

Greetings,

Rob
battlecate

Post by battlecate »

Hello:

The process to put the package files onto a CF card is going to always be the same for everyone.

First, let me note that my X8 has a 512mb of ram. I do not know if this is a factor for your Fantom robbie50. My X8 is also on version 2.10. Once more, I am not sure if this has any effect on the abilities of your Fantom.

Here are the steps that I use to load the DX7 patches onto a CF card and activate the patches on my X8.

Formatting the CF Card
  1. Physically load the CF card into the Fantom's rear card slot using a CF card adapter.
  2. Open the Menu in the Fantom and select the "File Utility" option.
  3. Select the option to format the CF card. Execute this option to format the card. Note that the card will be formatted to the Roland CF card specification. Thus, anything on this card will be ERASED. Back anything up from the CF card if you need to before doing this step.
  4. Once the format is complete, turn the Fantom off, and remove the CF card adapter.
  5. Remove the CF card from the CF card adapter.
  6. Insert the newly formatted CF card into a PC's USB CF card adapter. (I bought mine at a thrift store for $1.25. Yep, I am cheap, and I like recycling.)
    As an aside, you may remove the CF adapter from the Fantom with it powered off or powered on with little to no risk to the CF card data. The Fantom only accesses the CF card in two situations. The first is when the Fantom is initially powered on. The second is when you choose to use the menu to manually load a file. Otherwise, the Fantom seems to ignore the card.
Load the Files
  1. Unzip the DX7.zip file to your computer. This will create a folder called DX7. Inside that folder are two more folders. We are only after the folders inside the DX7 folder. They are named in all uppercase, ROLAND and TMP.
  2. Copy the ROLAND and TMP folder from the DX7 folder on your computer to the CF card. You will be doing a simple copy and paste of the two folders, replacing what is already on the CF card from the format we did a few steps ago. We are in effect replacing everything on the CF card with our two new ROLAND and TMP folders.
At this point, you will need to eject the CF card from the USB drive on your PC using whatever method your operating system wants. On Windows, there is an icon in the taskbars right side that allows you to properly eject the USB devices. This step is not 100% needed, but it never hurts.
  1. Turn the Fantom OFF.
  2. Take your CF card and put it back into the CF card adapter.
  3. Insert the CF card adapter firmly into the Fantom's rear CF card slot.
  4. Power the Fantom back ON. At this point, depending on the amount of RAM you have in the Fantom depends on how long the Fantom takes to boot up fully.
  5. If all loads correctly, you can view the new Patches in 2 locations. To view the raw instrument samples, you can select Patch Mode and scroll down until you come to the CARD area. This will show you all the various instruments that are loaded from the CF card. Because it was a properly created SVD patch collection, you will also find the same instruments spread out in the correct categories listings.
I would be happy to work on these instructions if you find that any part of them is confusing.

Please report your results back to us so that we can continue to improve the post.

--BC
robbie50

Post by robbie50 »

battlecate,

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
I'll wil do this later but THANKS for the info......
I think it's all writen in the Fantom X manuel, but I can could find it.

THANKS again....

Greetings,

rob
(Fantom X6, Windows 10)