RPS and real world uses?

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
buminbeer

RPS and real world uses?

Post by buminbeer »

You all have been great in helping me out. I have had the Fantom X6 for a few years now. I mostly sequence on it or record to a hardware recorder. Anyway, for years I have seen this button and no clue how or what to use it for. I searched this forum and online videos, but no where did anyone explain in first grade English how to really use it?
I understand you are supposed to make patterns with it or sequences or trigger samples, but I don't know HOW to use it and what for? I do not play live, only in the studio. I usually play live in the studio and don't even sequence too much. If I make a mistake, I just re-record the whole track usually, but may fine tune it in the sequencer , if it's not a pain in the butt.

Example: Maybe I want to try a Miami Vice type track/Duran Duran/Human League, can I use it to synch the arpeggio to the drums or is that different?
Can I use it to easily switch drum patterns while sequencing?
I'm simply not sure what it does really. So, if you can explain or point me to simple tutorials on the web on what practical uses are, thanks. I'm trying to keep learning more about this synth, then just playing the presets. Just learning the ins and outs of the sequencer has taken a long time.
LA Keys

Re: RPS and real world uses?

Post by LA Keys »

There's quite a few examples of "real world" uses of RPS in the Tips and trick thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23392

"Quick tutorial on using pads to play chords" and "live sound switching tutorial" are two very good example of what can be achieved using RPS...

LA
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Here's a good video on using RPS for seamless sound switching: http://youtu.be/e6JPInqO4jw

Essentially, you sequence phrases that can be either sounds, playing music parts, or control messages to change some or all of your setup. Then, using RPS, you attach those phrases to either the keys or the pads.

Then, whilst playing live, you can trigger a phrase to play (or to swap some control settings) just by hitting that key or pad.

Some example uses:
1) I can play the piano and strings live, but I create a phrase to play the brass in the chorus. I attach it with RPS to pad 1. Now, I carry on playing the piano/strings, and when the chorus comes, I hit Pad 1 and the brass automatically joins me and plays along for the chorus.

2) I have a Performance setup for a song. In the verses, I use EP, synth bass and strings on Parts 1, 2, 3. The EP uses a distortion MFX. So, I create a phrase that sets those 3 Parts up, and stop Parts 4-6 responding to the keyboard (bear with me). For the chorus, I create a phrase that stops Parts 1-3 responding to the keyboard, and sets up organ with rotary MFX on Part 4, bigger strings with Chorus MFX on Part 5 and synth lead on Part 6. Now, I don't need the bottom octave whilst playing this song on my X7, so I use RPS to attach the Verse phrase the the very bottom E key, and attach the Chorus phrase to the lowest F# key. So, when I play the song live, I just hit the E or F# key and my whole sound setup changes instantaneously. Note that I'm not using more than 3 MFX between both the active and the next set of voices. You will only get a noticeable pause if you switch an active MFX unit.

3) In all my set I use the control pedal to change the volume. In just one part of one song, I need it to be a wah on an EP sound. So, I create a song with a phrase that sets up the pedal to control the wah MFX, and another one to change it back to my usual Volume controller. Using RPS, I apply one phrase to Pad 15, the other to Pad 16. At the start of the song, I hit Pad 15 for wah. At the end of the song, I hit Pad 16 to return everything to normal for the next song.

4) I have a two-handed synth solo in one song where over the course of 6 bars (it's a long solo), I need to tweak the filter cutoff, move the pan position of the sound AND cross-fade from a soft square-wave sound to a hard sawtooth sound. I can't physically do it all, so I sequence a 6-bar phrase with no notes, but it has the SysEx (or CCs) messages to automate the filter, pan and to crossfade between the two sounds I need. I attach the phrase with RPS to Pad 1. Now, live, at the right moment in the solo, I reach my spare hand and hit Pad 1. Then, as both hands continue to play the solo across 5 octaves the sound changes for me as planned, and the audience thinks I'm some kind of Jordan Rudess level player, I get the hottest chicks and everybody wants to be my friend after the gig.

Ok, some of that isn't true, but you get the idea. RPS allows you to instantly trigger changes or musical parts that would be impossible for one person to change quickly enough. It can take a while to set up, but live it a wonderful tool.

Hope this helps,
Andy
buminbeer

Post by buminbeer »

Cool, I will check all of that out, but keep in mind, I stated I don't play live :)
I am a songwriter for other bands. But maybe a LOT of that info will help out. I guess the problem is if it is too advanced, they will have to either sample my X or get one and use my .svds or whatever. I was really asking for a song writing point of view more then anything.
But 100% props and will check it out as if it helps me, then they can figure out the parts, teehe. I usually try to write a Bass/drum/ 1-2 guitar basics and then something a keyboard player can do. It's great if I can do a 4 part piece live and sequence, but the people I write for won't be able to do it live.
Going to check it out now, thanks!!
Andy, do you have any examples of you using that in a video I could see? I'd love to see more like that as you have been around a while. If not, how do you set it up? I mean I hit shift/RPS and saw pad/key and exit. So if you or anyone can point me to how to use keys(I hate pads) to trigger say a phrase/sample on like the lowest C note, that would help some. Thanks ALL!!!
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

To be honest, if you're a studio player (rather than live) RPS is probably of more limited use, as you can program all those changes into the sequencer, or into your DAW.

I used to use RPS much more than I do now, but I used it mainly for adjusting the Parts of a Performance or for altering split points and dull things like that! All the stuff you need fast live, and don't have time to program.

Sadly, there is very little video of me live (it's all about the bloomin' guitarists and singers), and less of that is actually up close to what I'm doing. You can hear an old song here. There are some RPS sound-switching going on here, but you can't see anything as it's phone/crowd footage.

Brendan's video (linked at the top of my last post) is a good how-to. The only difference to put the phrase on the keys rather than the pads is at the "RPS Setup" screen just use the bottom 'keys' section rather than the middle 'pads' section. It works exactly the same way.