Procedure to have a pad triggering a sample

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
alower

Procedure to have a pad triggering a sample

Post by alower »

Hello there, have a question (Fantom X7):

I am trying to understand the process of triggering a one-shot sample using the pads.

Here is what I am doing: I load the performance (which I had for quite a while), then load from my sample list the sample I want to trigger. Then I use the "load utility" to load the sample to Pad#1. For the time being, it works - the sample indeed gets played once I press Pad #1. Then I select "Save song&Samples" hoping it will save everything (i.e. The performance+the pad setting+the sample). Unfortunately it fails, because that little asterisk (*) which indicates temporary memory never disappears...

Perhaps someone can walk me through using RPS to trigger the sample?
Andy Keys

Re: Procedure to have a pad triggering a sample

Post by Andy Keys »

You need to create a User Drum Kit that has your sample on the same note# as the Pad.
Then, save that as the Rhythm Part used by your Performance.
Save Song&Samples, and it should work.

Let me know if not :)
Cheers
Andy
alower

Post by alower »

Understood, thank you. The manual does not communicate the requirement to have the sample saved to a User Drum Kit in order to make it "available" for assignment to a pad...

Just for clarification: I would like to trigger the playing of the whole pattern "once", by quickly pressing the pad without the need to hold it while it plays the pattern - using RPS. The procedure you described works for that, correct?
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Yeah, the manual tells you an awful lot of how, but not so much when or why. It can be frustrating.

From the pads, you can either hit the [HOLD] pad to keep ALL the pads holding, or you can create an RPS phrase that is the length of your sample, and have the pad trigger as a one-shot.

If I'm doing this for a single sample, I usually put a single, short note at the very end, usually a kick drum or something, but with a volume of 1 and a Expression of 0. It won't sound, but it means that there is data at the start and end of the phrase. It's probably not necessary, but I can be a bit paranoid about stuff that I'm using live (I blame the CIA and the aliens...)