Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Nawyecky

Splits with octave shift

Post by Nawyecky »

Hello,

I'd like to use my Fantom-X6 with my DAW in a split-keyboard configuration:

Fantom lower octave : C-2 to B-2
Fantom next octave and up : C3 to C6

I created a performance with a split at the right key, both parts sending on Channel 1 and both having KBD activated. In Part View/Pitch I've selected "-3" in the "Oct" column for the first part.

However, this doesn't work. Apparently it only works with internal patches, not external MIDI (the notes sent outside are not octave shifted at all).

Any ideas on how this could be done?

Thanks.
Andy Keys

Re: Splits with octave shift

Post by Andy Keys »

As far as I can tell, you have to programme the key range and 'correct' pitch on the external synth.

If there is a way to do it from the Fantom X, I'd love to know how it's done.

Regards
Andy
Nawyecky

Post by Nawyecky »

Thanks. Anyone? I can't program the correct pitch on the external synth, I'm trying to send keyswitches with the lower octave (on C-2 to B-2) while keeping a playable range on the keys above. I could do that in software but it's a major pain.
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

There's a way to do this if you want to play one of the part on the fantom x itself, the other on the external synth.

You have to first set the correct octave for the part sent to the external synth using the OCT+/OCT- switches on the fantom x. This will affect the pitch sent via midi as well as internally.

You're right saying that the individual part setting doesn't affect the pitch sent, but the "global" oct+/oct- switches do. You also probably already know that the key range setting is working with external instrument.

Once this is set, you the use the +/- oct of the individual part(s) that you will play on the fantom itself.

(This will not work if you want to play both parts on the external synth and there's no way to do that)

LA
Nawyecky

Post by Nawyecky »

OK thanks a lot LA. Shame that it isn't possible. Seems like a basic feature but this thing goes back more than 10 years...