Fantom xr Screen

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
ma4music

Fantom xr Screen

Post by ma4music »

I have fantom xr two units. both of the units are working but no display. help me to find fantom xr screen replacement for cheap price ... tnx
LA Keys

Re: Fantom xr Screen

Post by LA Keys »

Let me first say that you're not alone. I've read of many other users who had the very same problem, including me...

The problem with the lcd screen on the fantom xr is the tiny flat cable that connect it to the pc board. The "tracks" are fragile and the conductive coating easily wear off the flexible cable. Most will first experience intermittent problem.

It is sometime possible to repair the flat cable by extremely carefully pulling it off the connector on the pcb. The problem is that you will need to first insert a very thin sheet of plastic between the exposed side of the cable contacting with the connector to prevent doing even more damage.

Once this is done a carefull examination of the cable should reveal "scratches" on the conductive surface, maybe missing spots. There's actually 2 ways to fix this:

If the problem is minimal you could trim just a bit (1/32th inch) of the flat cable, which will make a "new" surface to contact with the connector. You can do this only once as the cable will eventually get too short to be correctly be inserted into the connector.

You could also buy a pcboard repair kit, containing a conductive liquid made to repair pc board tracks. This is the best way to fix the problem but still very hard to do since the contacts on the end of the cable are very small.

In both case you will want to first insert the plastic strip in the connector before sliding the flat cable back in. The plastic strip should of course be placed on the contact side of the cable and removed once the flat cable is fully inserted.

A qualified electronic technicien should be able to attempt the procedure, but result is not guaranteed because of the fragility of the contacts (repaired or not).

I've searched a long time for a replacement LCD and did not found any until recently. Your last resort is then to buy a new LCD for $210 (I know, it isn't cheap by any definition), but available here:

http://www.instrumentalparts.com/roland-parts.html

LA
ChuckyHall

Post by ChuckyHall »

Thanks for posting this information!
I also have 2 Fantom-XRs. Both are perfect except for the displays.
On one unit the screen starts out fine, but then glitches after a few minutes. I checked the ribbon cable and it was in perfect shape. After simply reseating the cable the display works great now (I did not use a plastic strip, so fingers crossed). I will let it burn-in for a few hours then check on it again. The chassis screws were not 'factory-tight', so I suspect that this unit may have been disassembled/repaired previously.
On my other unit, I have the opposite problem. The screen starts out blank, then at some point later begins working and continues to work until it loses power. Actually it just stopped working altogether, even after a few hours of power (this is when I lost patience and attempted the first unit).
I will attempt to reseat the ribbon cable on this one too, after my first unit survives the burn-in.
I love all of my Roland synths, but I am beginning to think that the XRs are not for everybody because of the display problems.
ChuckyHall

Post by ChuckyHall »

My second unit's display was a no-go. Those display ribbon cables are just so extremely delicate.
If I ever find out who is manufacturing these, I am going to start a gofundme to send them a bagofdicks every day from now until there is peace in the Middle East.
Anyhow, I can get by with Midi/USB. I don't really use the front panel anyway, I just like to see what's going on.
Best of luck to others who attempt to repair their XR display. In hindsight, I would say that it's worth purchasing a replacement display versus spending hours and hours trying to revive a glitchy one.