Effects in Performance Mode

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
tuz

Effects in Performance Mode

Post by tuz »

I have a performance on my Fantom X6 and I use my Kurzweil PC3 to send it program change and CC messages in each PC3 setup (performance) to use the channels as I like. But I'm never really sure how effects will work. Usually the first 3 Fantom channels have a good reverb, or sometimes too much, and if I want to take reverb off a sound I just make sure it's on channel 4 or higher. Right now I'm working with a patch I made from my own samples and it's on channel 2 and there's no reverb.

I'm not familiar with working with effects in patches so it could very well be an issue with the way I programmed the patch (all I did was assign the multisample, really). I've done things like turn the reverb up on the effects page of "Part view" and as I do that it turns it up in channel 1 as well (in this PC3 setup I have a factory patch on Channel 1, reverb sounds great, and my new patch on channel 2) and also doesn't have any audible effect.

Does anyone know what I need to do? Thanks a lot.
Andy Keys

Re: Effects in Performance Mode

Post by Andy Keys »

Effects on the Fantom X can be tricky to get your head around.
Basically, you have 3 MFX units that you can assign to the Parts of a Performance. You can change the order of the MFX units (all in serial, all parallel, all sorts in between).

You also have a global Chorus and Reverb.

Your best bet is probably to get a boot up your Fantom and get a pot of coffee.
Next, go here and download Fantom-X Workshop Series 04: The Fantom-X Effects. (In fact, while you're there, download everything; you never know when it might disappear).

I hope the Workshop Series helps, but if not, please come back and ask more here :)

Andy
tuz

Post by tuz »

Wow Andy, thanks for pointing me there! I'm downloading it all, to be safe like you said. Does anything immediate come to your mind as a solution to my problem?
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

The "immediate" solution to your problem is to set the send level in the effect routing screen... p 9 of the FWS04 guide you just downloaded.

LA
tommycash

Post by tommycash »

Just wondering if this would apply to the fantom s as well?
Credo

Post by Credo »

Don't forget that if you're using some other controller or sequencer to drive the Fantom that:
CC91 can be used to adjust reverb send.
CC93 does chorus send.

For the MFX channel, you might have several different effects in some sort of chain. MIDI Continuous controllers can be assigned the sends of these effects as well. In the case of MFX, you get to pick what CC it listens for. Look in your manual for "MFX Control Sources".