Fantom X 6 , buttons, screen, jelp. Thank you :)

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
mychelin

Fantom X 6 , buttons, screen, jelp. Thank you :)

Post by mychelin »

Hi guys. I recently purchased a Fantom X6, and the seller told that it is in great condition, and aestetically it is.

But technically, has 2 issues:

1 - 3 buttons, Asiganble 1, Asignable 2 and Arepegiator On/oFF, needs a firmer press. Question, from where could I purchase the switches for these buttons, as the buttons caps are ok ? These buttons are with light.

2 - the screen is dimmer, at about 55-65% luminosity, with no change over the 2 hours on time. I know that there are some issues with fantom x screens, temperature related, and that in most cases about 3-5 minutes warm up are enough for the screen to get its full luminosity. So, any advices from where I can purchase a new screen at a good price ? Or maybe any solutions for this , workarounds ?

3 - I need to know, if I can use the 16 PADS to trigger PATTERNS, and not just the DRUM patterns, but ENTIRE PATTERNS. Also, can I bring in Fantom x standard midi files, and to import portions of notes in Fantom X sequencer ?

Thank you very much fro your time :)

respect

Michael
HK77

Re: Fantom X 6 , buttons, screen, jelp. Thank you :)

Post by HK77 »

Hi!
The dim screen is a common problem with the earlier Fantom X's and it is recognized by Roland and is covered by warranty. The culprit is the screen backlight transformer and you should be able to have it replaced for free at your local Roland distributor or at least get the replacement module for free from Roland if you give them the serial number of your Fantom. Even if you don't the part is relatively inexpensive.

I'm pretty sure that the person who sold you the Fantom was aware of the screen problem. :(
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

mychelin wrote:1 - 3 buttons, Asiganble 1, Asignable 2 and Arepegiator On/oFF, needs a firmer press. Question, from where could I purchase the switches for these buttons, as the buttons caps are ok ? These buttons are with light.
The switches for the buttons on the Fantom X are all the same. There are 18 of them on the left board. The light is just an added LED under the cap. You only need the switches to fix the problem you have.

According to the service manual the part number is: EVQ11A H=5.0

This is a partial part number, the full part number is EVQ11A05R
Please see this document for more infos:
http://industrial.panasonic.com/lecs/ww ... 00CE11.pdf

Now, the thing is that it is pretty hard to find this exact part number by now. Here is an excellent substitute that I've used: Alps 688-SKQNAED010

This is the datasheet for this series: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/15/Alps_SKQN-315704.pdf

I've replaced many of the switches on my fantom X successfully with those. They are available many places, including Mouser electronics.

Soldering is required as well as disassembling the Fantom X. I would NOT recommend this to someone without experience repairing electronics devices.

LA
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

mychelin wrote:2 - the screen is dimmer, at about 55-65% luminosity, with no change over the 2 hours on time. I know that there are some issues with fantom x screens, temperature related, and that in most cases about 3-5 minutes warm up are enough for the screen to get its full luminosity. So, any advices from where I can purchase a new screen at a good price ? Or maybe any solutions for this , workarounds ?
The exact original part number is: KCG057QV1DB-G00

This is for the whole assembly, LCD + Backlit. It is available as I've see them regularly on e-Bay for around $150 (including shipping from china).

The important portion of the part number is KCG057QV1DB

Now if you look at the datasheet for this you will see that the G00 have been issued in 2002. There are other "version" that you may find. For example the KCG057QV1DB-G50 issued in 2003 and the KCG057QV1DB-G77 issued in 2006.

If I would have to replace the display I would certainly pick the latest possible version, this is the greater number after the "G", as it is generally improved and always bacward compatible. It is also sometime less expensive to buy an earlier version than the original version.

Again, I would NOT recommend to replace the LCD yourself unless you have some experience repairing electronic devices.

LA
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

HK77 wrote: you should be able to have it replaced for free at your local Roland distributor or at least get the replacement module for free from Roland if you give them the serial number of your Fantom. Even if you don't the part is relatively inexpensive.
Hummm, I really don't think that Roland will replace the LCD for free years after the warranty is expired. Also it is well known that the cost to have it replaced by Roland was over $300.00. Now I'm not even sure that they keep those part in stock anymore...

LA
tomo

Post by tomo »

Michael, I had similar problems with X6 which is a part of my live rig. Like yourself, I've purchased mine second-hand and while in working order, there were many problematic knobs and switches.

I don't know the tech details, but I know as a fact that these switches and knobs can be ordered online and replaced. The guy who does the gear maintenace for me had ordered the orginal set of switches and knobs and replaced them all. I'm not sure from where exactly he ordered them from, but I know they came from Roland and that he works with several online stores for obtaining the needed parts when doing the repair jobs.

As for the LCD issues, those are definitely temperature related. Two years ago, I was performing on a NYE live show on the city square, and during the perfomance I've noticed the LCD going dimmer, so much in fact that I was barely able to read it with all the stage lights and works. Fortunately, a technician had brought me a mini LED light to get by. However, when I've turned on the keyboard in my studio the other day, the LCD was working as it should and I hadn't had any problems with it since then (fingers crossed). But I'm certain it can also be replaced if needed.

Hope this helps a bit.
HK77

Post by HK77 »

LA Keys wrote:
HK77 wrote: you should be able to have it replaced for free at your local Roland distributor or at least get the replacement module for free from Roland if you give them the serial number of your Fantom. Even if you don't the part is relatively inexpensive.
Hummm, I really don't think that Roland will replace the LCD for free years after the warranty is expired. Also it is well known that the cost to have it replaced by Roland was over $300.00. Now I'm not even sure that they keep those part in stock anymore...
LA
Then the policy seems to be different over here, as Roland Finland (now Roland Scandinavia) replaced it for free and they were quite clear that if the serial number of the board falls within a certain range then the replacement parts are covered by the manufacturer, as it is a known problem with the original part.

Of course it is possible that the local consumer rights laws (don't know the exact translation) might have something to do with it as well, as they are notoriously quite strict over here. In Finnish legislation warranty for manufacture flaws and bad components does not expire.

Well, anyway it's awesome that you could supply the part number and the problem of the original poster is being dealt with. :)