Fantom - Accessing Rythms in Performance Mode

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Bread

Fantom - Accessing Rythms in Performance Mode

Post by Bread »

Hi,

I use a Fantom rack unit with Roland bass pedals. I can change presets and performances via midi but I was wanting to include one of the drum kits from the rhythm bank in one of the performance preset banks - however, I can't seem to figure a way of doing it.

I have performance patch 1 for Synths, 2 for other synth sounds and I want 3 for one of the drum kits found in the rythm bank.

Could someone please help me to do this ? I don't want to go back to the Preset menu and then press arrow up to get to the Rythm section.

Thanks
Bread
Credo

Re: Fantom - Accessing Rythms in Performance Mode

Post by Credo »

To change to a rhythm preset first send a bank change then a program number.

The XR has the following Rhythm Set banks:

Preset Memory (14 bit style bank change 11072) or (Bank MSB 86, Select MSB 0)
User Memory (14 bit style bank change 11008) or (Bank MSB 86, Select MSB 32)
Data Card Memory (14 bit sytel bank change 11040) or (Bank MSB 86, Select MSB 64)

Each rhythm bank has something like 40 programs in it (0 - 39 or 1 - 40 depending on how your sequencer sends program changes).

Example:
Say we want to call up Program 0 (Standard Kit1) from the XR Preset Memory....

If our DAW/Sequcner/Controller supports 14bit style bank changes:
First send bank change 11072, then send program change 0.

If our DAW/Sequencer/Controller doesn't support 14bit bank change messages, then use the old style.
First send Bank MSB 86, then send Select MSB 0, then send Program change 0.

In performance mode, the change will be made for any part(s) configured for the MIDI channel you are sending these bank/program changes over.

Also note, that with the XR you can store and dial up entire performance mode set-ups as if they were a single patch. To change an entire performance mode preset via MIDI commands, you'll have to make sure to send a bank change over the channel set as the "Performance Ctrl Channel" in the XR System menu.

Note: Many of the XR performance presets already have channel 10 set to a Rhythm bank, so using channel 10 for drums might be one option. Just send the program select message for which ever drum kit you want. If you want to use some other channel besides 10...no problem...just send a bank change command if you need to do it on the fly. Optionally, you can manually select your drum kit and save the entire performance as a performance preset.

To save an entire performance patch:
Make sure your XR is in performance mode then...
1. Go through and do all your global performance mode settings as you like.
2. Set up the parts/instruments/FX to your liking.
3. Tap shift, then choose write.
4. Use XR controls to locate the memory slot you want to store this, name it, etc...

Each Performance bank has something like 64 programs and you can call them up with MIDI bank and program select messages if desired.
Bank MSB 85, Select MSB 64, Program Select 0 - 63 = Preset Memory Performances
Bank MSB 85, Select MSB 32, Program Select 0 - 63= Card Performances
Bank MSB 85, Select MSB 0, Program Select 0 - 63 = User Performances
Bread

Re: Fantom - Accessing Rythms in Performance Mode

Post by Bread »

When I try to save the performance into the USER bank I get a "write protection" error. I can save other performances but not rhythm ones.

Any ideas ?

Thanks for your help