Does a performance have its own volume setting?

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
scramble

Does a performance have its own volume setting?

Post by scramble »

Is there any way of changing the overall volume of a performance on the X? Doesn't look like it from the manual.

This is a bit annoying, as it means that to turn down the volume of a performance, you have to turn down the volume of all the parts, which is rather laborious for performances that have a lot of parts (and you may be looking at a few rounds of adjustments before the new volume is right).
gcoudert67

Re: Does a performance have its own volume setting?

Post by gcoudert67 »

Master Volume CC controller? I have never used it myself but it might do the trick. If you are looking for a setting that is saved with the performance, I don't think there is one.
Credo

Post by Credo »

There is a Master Volume level, at least with my XR model. You can change the master volume using the XR panel by tapping Menu, then choosing menu option 7 (Master Volume).

Some models have a pot/knob or slider that will adjust the actual analogue or SPDIF output gain in 'Master Volume' like fashion.

It can also be done with Sysex messages over MIDI:
F0 41 10 00 6B 12 02 00 00 05 7F 7A F7

Above I show a Sysex command to set an XR with a Device ID of 17 to 127 (full volume).

Bits 11 and 12 (7F 7A = full volume of 127) are the variables that need to change with your slider/pot.

To me, the easiest way to get/analyze these sysex messages is to install the Fantom X editor software. It will show you the sysex messages it sends, and you can study/cut/paste them as needed.
scramble

Post by scramble »

>There is a Master Volume level, at least with my XR model. You can change the master volume using the XR panel by tapping Menu, then choosing menu option 7 (Master Volume).

No, I don't mean a Master Volume setting for the whole keyboard. I mean a level for an individual performance.

>If you are looking for a setting that is saved with the performance, I don't think there is one.

Yes, that's what I mean. Disappointing. My Motif has this feature.
Credo

Post by Credo »

scramble wrote:>There is a Master Volume level, at least with my XR model. You can change the master volume using the XR panel by tapping Menu, then choosing menu option 7 (Master Volume).

No, I don't mean a Master Volume setting for the whole keyboard. I mean a level for an individual performance.

>If you are looking for a setting that is saved with the performance, I don't think there is one.

Yes, that's what I mean. Disappointing. My Motif has this feature.
This master level can be 'saved' with a performance.
Set it as you like, then save the performance to a performance user or card memory slot.

Setting a performance Master level is essentially the same as setting the Master Gain...as in it brings all 16 parts up or down in a relative manner. No?
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

Credo is right!

Amazing, I have this thing for over 5 years now and I'm still learning :)

Just to make it clear, in performance mode you have to press the [SHIFT] button, you will then be able to set the master level with the [F3] button. The master volume will be saved with the performane.

LA
Credo

Post by Credo »

P.S. If you're just wanting to change the volume of a single 'part', use channel volume CC#7 over MIDI, or set the part volumes to a mix you like using the X Panel/Menus and save the preference to a user or card memory slot.

I may be misunderstanding what you're trying to do here.
A performance's Master Volume level, by my understanding, is pretty much adjusting the volume of all 16 parts together...where they each maintain their relative level in the mix. As far as I know...the easiest way to do this in real time via remote or sequencer, is via Sysex. Otherwise, you just do it on the X itself, or in the analogue domain with your mixer console.

A part's volume is typically adjusted remotely via Channel Volume (CC7) or Expression (CC11).

In either case, you should be able to save a performance with whatever settings you like for all of the above. You can call up Performance patches just like programs if you send them over the Performance Channel along with the proper bank select messages.
scramble

Post by scramble »

>This master level can be 'saved' with a performance.
>Set it as you like, then save the performance to a performance user or card memory slot.

Unfortunately the master level can't be saved to a performance, not on the X anyway. If you press Shift and F3, like LA Keys says, then you can adjust the master volume, but this isn't saved with the performance. If I, for example, set the master level to 70 while in Performance 1, then save Performance 1, and then switch to another performance, change the master volume back to 127, then go back to Performance 1, the master level is 127, not 70.

>It can also be done with Sysex messages over MIDI:
F0 41 10 00 6B 12 02 00 00 05 7F 7A F7

I'm talking about live performance where the X is the master keyboard, so this isn't an option.

Just to be clear, there's no great problem here, I can make a loud performance quieter (to match the other performances) simply by turning down each part. (At home, that is, not during the gig!) It's just that that's laborious, and it's annoying that an obvious and useful feature was included on the Motif but not the Fantom.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

scramble wrote:Is there any way of changing the overall volume of a performance on the X? Doesn't look like it from the manual.
Not that I'm aware of, no. I've just bought an FV-50L pedal for just that purpose (although not just for my X7). As with the EV-5 you can set the "minimum" volume level on the pedal itself.

My main issue is the opposite of yours: I want to be able to boost the overall volume for solos at gigs.

Hope this helps.
Andy (back from the Void)
scramble

Post by scramble »

Can't you just set up a louder performance that you switch to for solos? That's what I do.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

My guitarist is always complaining that my solo level isn't loud enough, so the volume pedal (stereo) lets me boost it by a controlled amount. I sound-check to the lower level (usually around 6-7/10 on the pedal) and then have a bit of a push come the solo, by kicking the pedal down.

Over the years I've created dozens of performances for specific songs (or bits of songs), so it's easier for me to kick the floor, than to swap Performances, and it saves on memory, too.