Problem with external keyboard connection

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
bartek1207

Problem with external keyboard connection

Post by bartek1207 »

Hi.

I've decided to connect my Fantom X8 with Technics PX203 piano to increase my performance. The plan is simple - Technics is playing ex PIANO and Fantom is responsible for LEAD or other "solo" sounds. Of course everything is based on Fantom's internal sound generator (Technics is old and poor in sounds, but it has quite nice keyboard).

I've done everything as usual - MIDI OUT from Technics to MIDI IN in Fantom. It works brilliant, I can play Fantom sounds with my Technics keyboard (in PATCH). But there is some problem...

I cannot built PERFORMANCE with external keyboard. Technics is playing the same sounds as Fantom, it's a copy of Fantom keyboard.

Technics is transmitting in Chanel 1 (of course I can change this to any of 16 channels), but in Performance it's playing other sounds - in perform MIDI setting every sound have other MIDI channel, so Technics should play only first layer, but it isn't.

What could I do wrong? Where do I have to look for solution?
Andy Keys

Re: Problem with external keyboard connection

Post by Andy Keys »

Hey, check the Remote Keyboard Switch setting. If ON, that makes the Fantom treat an external keyboard as if it were its own.
Settings > MIDI > Remote Keyboard Sw

Let us know if that fixes it.
Andy
gcoudert67

Re: Problem with external keyboard connection

Post by gcoudert67 »

Also, because the Fantom has a tendency to play the sound that is selected in the Performance (the one assigned to channel 1), I would do this:

- Switch Technics' MIDI out channel to channel 2,
- Leave Fantom on channel 1,
- Set up performance with piano sound in part 2,
- Set up lead sound in part 1 of the same performance and tick the KB box,

Optionally:
- Set up other sounds on Fantom's parts 3 to 16 for splits and layers, ticking the KB box every time,
- Adjust effect settings if necessary.

That should do it.