iPad as a workstation (Trying to get rid of my Fantom X)

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
LA Keys

iPad as a workstation (Trying to get rid of my Fantom X)

Post by LA Keys »

I want to get rid of my Fantom X... I have better sounds with my Integra 7 and Jupiter 80. BUT I'm still using the sequencer on the X very often....

When I'm learning a song I usually import a midi file, put the instruments I want on the 16 tracks and then play one of them (usually the piano or synth part). The piano roll is not fantastic but also help finding notes/chord when I'm lost.

I would like to do the equivalent but without the Fantom X. I'm thinking that maybe I can use an iPad app? I'm looking for a sequencer that could be used with external instruments while keeping about the same workflow.

Any ideas or suggestions?

LA
Credo

Re: iPad as a workstation (Trying to get rid of my Fantom X)

Post by Credo »

I haven't tried them yet, but there indeed scaled back DAWs in the $50 price range that'll work in the iPad.

If you want both audio and midi check this out:
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/mo ... start.html

More iPad DAWs (various prices)
http://ipadmusic.com/apps/daws-for-ipad/

If you just want midi those exist as well. You might search for sites like this that compare and contrast apps: http://momupro.com/three-great-midi-seq ... -for-ipad/
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

there are pros and cons for the Ipad

Pros:
you have lots of choices for music production and in essence your ipad is more powerful than the X/G
all the apps are cheaply priced and with Audiobus everything links together to give you the most powerful portable workstation ever.

Cons:
you need a decent controller to access the power of the apps
workflow can be a bit tedious when it comes to accessing sounds across apps
Production time can be hindered by power connectivity since out of the box you cannot connect
controller+Ipad power..

Overall:
I have been using the Ipad and can recommend it as a portable device and for full production
yes you could dump the fantom but your going to have to get use to a different kinda workflow.
Macska

Post by Macska »

Cubasis is fantastic. I just used it last night to record an entire marching band though a PreSonus Audiobox connected to a mixer's outputs. It was hilarious telling the percussion I'd be recording and then setting up with just my little iPad up front!

With the great sounds on the Integra and Jupiter, you could easily output the midi from Cubasis to the different channels and use it as your sequencer for practice. Like Quinnx said, the downside is your iPad will run out of battery eventually, but honestly you should take a break sometime before you hit the 6-10 hours the battery will give you! I keep a charger on my power strip and plug the iPad in when I'm not using it. With the Integra editor you have the added bonus of being able to choose your sounds right there on the same screen.

After finding Cubasis, Thor, Rebirth, and the Korg iM1, this little piece of glass I originally only planned on using as an integra editor became one of my favorite instruments.