NEWS!: Coming Soon!

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Quinnx.

Re: NEWS!: Coming Soon!

Post by Quinnx. »

Technicaly.. maybe.. but because XR is only a box you will need external control.. this is assuming the XR is the fantomX right down to the bone but just without a keybed.
timbo3000

Post by timbo3000 »

You obviously know what it is? can't you spill the beans or at least tell us when it will be released? Is it something that loads into the fantoms? More sounds?
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

can't you spill the beans
That would just spoil the surprise ;-)

all will be revealed in the next 10 days or so..
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Whoo Hoo!! Its HERE!!!

http://youtu.be/WXINp-b75Mo
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

Quinnx. wrote:Whoo Hoo!! Its HERE!!!

http://youtu.be/WXINp-b75Mo
Ahhh yes, a magnificent modern technology now available for this amazing vintage instrument!

Thanks for keeping us in suspense, it was worth it! :-)
ants murray

Post by ants murray »

I've visited the site but there's very little documentation ie. manual ???? Can we have a look at the manual before purchase? Seems reasonable .....
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Instruction for use are pretty much whats in the video..
Once you start using, its self intuitive
Everything is recorded as midi in Mixer/Performance mode.

You have a total of 13 slots as follows...

Backing group:
1 Bass pad-1
1 Drums pad-10
1 Chord/Arp-Pad 4

Lead/Song Group:
4 Lead slots pads 5-8 (solo lead part single instrument)
(5 6 7 used in video)

6 Layered/solo parts pads 2 3 13 14 15 16: these parts can be layered or solo
(2 3 13 used in video)

To get started do as follows...

1) Load project
2) press record/play
3) tap/select a pad/group instrument

and your ready to play/perform as shown in the video
tommycash

Post by tommycash »

I feel bad, all I have is a fantom s
Credo

Post by Credo »

timbo3000 wrote:What ever it is, will it work with my Fantom XR ????
I don't think so. The sequencer in the XR is pretty much limited to playing back smf/mid files that you've made in some other sequencer and uploaded into the XR or stored on a flash card. You can play a standard MIDI file from beginning to end with the XR...but that's about it. I'm not even sure we get a choice to sync that MIDI player to an outside clock and start/stop via general MIDI remote....

The XR does have some arp features that you can use tweaking the XR itself, but they're pretty hard to control via remote, and darn near impossible with today's modern MIDI controllers (without inserting some intense third party software with robust sysex support...and at that point it's easier just to use third party arps and sequencers anyway). What little I piddled with it, it seemed like it didn't even allow me to link arp engine settings with patches or performance presets in a way to get much use out of it without having to poke and push at the XR itself in almost unusable ways. The X Editor for PC didn't do anything with the arp engine either, so a quick sysex dump wasn't an option. I.E. I never found a way to make it call up the right arps and stuff in combination with a patch or performance preset. I always had to go in and change it manually after dialing up new patches and presets :(

In contrast, the X series has a bunch of hard core workstation sequencing abilities that are hard-wired to the MPC pads and other such Fantom X controls that we just don't get with the XR.

Main selling point of the XR was getting more voices/channels and polyphony along with access to X and SRX libraries (which it gave us in spades at the time). Its users generally already had other controller, sequencing, and arp solutions...we mainly just wanted the 'rom banks' and 'sampler' bits.
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

Has anyone purchased this? There is absolutely zero information about this on their website other than a canned description and glorious paypal links. If it's a project, then why couldn't anyone with an X/G just set it up themselves. It doesn't sound like a firmware update. I use my Fantom X extensively and doing stuff like this is easy. I imagine it's even easier with the G. Thus I'm curious if anyone has made the purchase and might be able to shed some additional light on the product. This doesn't seem to be adding functionality, rather it's just setting up a custom project with "existing" functionality. Nothing new here folks!
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Im using it. and there is alot of work gone into this project, the video makes it look so fluid that unless you actually using it your only seeing whats on the surface which yes for the most part looks like its nothing than a glorified project..

There is alot of clever stuff going on under the hood thats not obvious in the video.
Yes.. you could make it yourself If you have the time and the mental capacity to do so.

The project gives you instant access to functions not readily available on the the G/X in away that allows instant music workflow without the need to jump around the sequencer adding new tracks start/stop edit etc.. and gives you a continuous workflow in production mode just like Ableton live.. which i have been using alot but now dont feel the need for it any longer with this project.

Just try achieve the same workflow on a standard X/G right now you will probably find yourself struggling to achieve the same fluidity. The other option is to plan and set it all up yourself (good luck with that) since you most likely dont get whats gong on here.

If you dont need it, you dont need it..
if you can do it yourself go do it and be happy.