Live Setting Play Mode Question

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
aman19886

Live Setting Play Mode Question

Post by aman19886 »

Hello, Is there a way in Live setting play mode in Fantom X that the previous tone doesnt cuts out until I let go of the note the way Fantom G does.

I have tried the sysex/rps stuff but that only changes patches for me doesnt do performances. Is there a way to setup sysex/rps to change performances (may be using the MSB/LSB PC) seamlessly?

Any one of these solutions will do my job.

Thanks for your help.
Credo

Re: Live Setting Play Mode Question

Post by Credo »

aman19886 wrote:Hello, Is there a way in Live setting play mode in Fantom X that the previous tone doesnt cuts out until I let go of the note the way Fantom G does.

I have tried the sysex/rps stuff but that only changes patches for me doesnt do performances. Is there a way to setup sysex/rps to change performances (may be using the MSB/LSB PC) seamlessly?

Any one of these solutions will do my job.

Thanks for your help.
If it's possible, I'd like to know as well. I don't know of a way to change performances, or even patches without any sustaining tone generators being stopped in the process.

I've used these sorts of workarounds in the past:
1. "Implement fast instrument changes on a new channel in performance mode instead of doing a program change." Works fine unless I need more than 16 channels to get things done. It's kind of a 2 step process where I bring up another channel, and don't turn down the first one until I've let those keys up. No problem at all with MIDI sequences....but not as easy in a live playing situation.

2. I've set some patches up to do transitions with CC events. I.E. Variant one in tone generators 1 and 2, while variant two is in slots 3 and 4....use a CC event to switch or crossfade between them.

3. I've also done something similar to CC on individual patches, but with stacks of parts in performance mode (I.E. parts 1 and 2 listening over channel 1, with a CC switch or fade set-up to bring in parts 3 and 4...also listening over channel 1.

So....unless you can build that kind of seamless transition using 128 tone generators over 16 channels in performance mode without actually doing a performance patch change, then I don't think there's a way.

Don't forget that if you use the Fantom X software editor, you can copy and paste chunks of one performance to another. In this case, unless you're just flat out of 'parts' or 'channels' to get it done...you could merge multiple patches/performances and use the controller matrix to set up smoother crossfade style transitions. If you have a way to send sysex dumps in the middle of a performance, sometimes you can change everything but the sustaining patch in various stages without doing a performance or patch change.

For the most part I just have to plan any program or performance patch changes at times when notes are not sustaining or re-engineer my performance parts/patches so I can do it some other way.
Andy Keys

Re: Live Setting Play Mode Question

Post by Andy Keys »

Hi,

In Live Play Mode, no there isn't. You have to do it all from within one Performance, like Credo says.

The gap you hear when you change sounds is the MFX being re-loaded.
The way I do it is the way it is detailed in this lengthy, headache-inducing, and totally worthwhile Live Sound Switching Tutorial thread.
However, you cannot change the MFX being used on a Part that you are playing, as you will still hear the gap as it is reloaded.

It's possible, but far from ideal if you need stacks of more than 8 Parts using 3 MFX.
I tend to do a lot of my stuff with splits or 'faked' effects (it's easy to fake things like delay).

Oh, Credo also said "If you have a way to send sysex dumps in the middle of a performance". You can use RPS for this, and remember that you can attach SysEx via RPS to any pad or key. I've had setups in the past where that G# that I don't play is set to change everything. Just don't make a mistake mid-gig or your tender piano and strings could turn into blarty brass.

I also found that I had to simplify some setups to allow space within a Performance to make the required changes with SysEx. Do you really need that 16 layer Jordan Rudess lead sound, or can you get away with 12 layers to enable you to make that change you need?

Andy