Live setup with Fantom X6, controller and knob assignment.

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Soundbvoi

Live setup with Fantom X6, controller and knob assignment.

Post by Soundbvoi »

Hi everybody, I just purchased a mint condition Fantom X6 with ultimate piano and orchestral card for around 300 Euros. I am very happy with my purchase and have been scouting around this forum the last couple of days to get some inspiration. Endless possibilities it seems but also a bit of a learning curve here. I'm quite familiar with Roland keyboards having owned several through the years but could use some pointers in incorperating the X6 into my live setup.

My live rig for the last couple of years have consisted of a Juno G on 1st tier, XP 50 on 2nd tier, both fully expanded + Microkorg and Korg R3 on 3rd and 4th tier. I connect and mix them all into a small Behringer mixer that rests on the right side top of my XP50. I also put a stereo delay pedal (BOSS DD-5) between The XP50 and the mixer and its positioned on the left side on the XP opposite the mixer. The pedal is always on but with the effect turned down when i dont need it. This setup with the mixer and delay unit on my keyboard top gives me great flexibility when playing live because all the buttons and knobs are right there on top my keyboard. I can adjust the time, length and volume of my delay effect and quickly adjust the EQ and level of all my boards on the fly, which i find really useful, playing on a lot of different stages, working often with a house tech who doesnt nessesarily know the songs or sounds played.

What i want to do now is slightly different ;Using the X6 as soundsource and second tier board (for splits/organs & non-piano stuff) while using th SL Acuna 76 weighted controller for the X6 EP's and acoustic pianos. I'm a bit cautious about going down that road cause im afraid I will loose all the flexibility of my present setup. Here is what i pictured:

1. A setup on the X6 where i can choose 8 favorite patches for the Acuna on PAD 1-8, while using PAD 9-16 for some random samples. Then have the the splits and patches that i play on the X6 on the F1-F8 buttons

2. Recreate my BOSS DD-5 using the Realtime Control knobs to control a stereo delay assigned to part X. I really only need three control buttons: Level, Feedback, Time. If there is a way to do it "global" it would be nice so i wouldnt have to reprogram every patch to use the knobs for that specific purpose.

3. Run my Korg R3 and MicroKorg thru the Fantom and ditch my Behringer mixer, only using the Stereo out from the Fantom for all my boards.

Is it possible to do what i outlined here and is it worth doing in regards to functionability on stage where quick changes and flexibility is key? If someone could help point me in the right direction i would be very grateful :)

//Soundbvoi
Andy Keys

Re: Live setup with Fantom X6, controller and knob assignmen

Post by Andy Keys »

Hi Soundbvoi, congratulations on the X6 and welcome to the Clan.
Soundbvoi wrote: 1. A setup on the X6 where i can choose 8 favorite patches for the Acuna on PAD 1-8, while using PAD 9-16 for some random samples. Then have the the splits and patches that i play on the X6 on the F1-F8 buttons
Yes, this is totally possible. You would need to set up an RPS Phrase for each of the Pads (1-8) that would send the required Channel, Bank CCs and PC messages to the Fantom to set up those sounds how you want them. You can attach samples to the other pads quite simply, too. Finally here, the Patches and Performances that you want to play on the X6 itself can be set up as Favourites, so they are accessible from the Function buttons. But, are your setups static (i.e. you pick the sounds at the start of the song), or do you change things on the fly mid-song, and differently for each keyboard?
Soundbvoi wrote:2. Recreate my BOSS DD-5 using the Realtime Control knobs to control a stereo delay assigned to part X. I really only need three control buttons: Level, Feedback, Time. If there is a way to do it "global" it would be nice so i wouldnt have to reprogram every patch to use the knobs for that specific purpose.
I don’t believe you can set the Knob assignments globally (so they affect every patch or performance the same way); however, once again, if you are setting up the RPS phrases to make the changes you want, you can simply copy the SysEx code (to set up the MFX chain and the Knob assignments) from one Pattern to another so they are reset everytime you trigger an RPS phrase.
Or, you could route the sounds you want to delay through Outputs C/D (or are they 3/4? I can't remember) and send that through your trusty DD-5 pedal. There is plenty of room on top of the Fantom.
Soundbvoi wrote:3. Run my Korg R3 and MicroKorg thru the Fantom and ditch my Behringer mixer, only using the Stereo out from the Fantom for all my boards.
There is only a stereo input to the Fantom, so you could put these two in one in Left and the other in Right. If you need stereo from either of them you will need a mixer to get more than 2 channels into the Fantom.
Soundbvoi wrote:Is it possible to do what i outlined here and is it worth doing in regards to functionability on stage where quick changes and flexibility is key? If someone could help point me in the right direction i would be very grateful :)
Most of it sounds possible, yes. It would take some careful planning and some time to get set up (and probably some serious head-scratching, too), but it all sounds possible to me.

I hope this is helpful. Let us know more specifics and we can get you set up 
Regards
Andy
Soundbvoi

Post by Soundbvoi »

Andy, thx a million for a swift and informative answer.
But, are your setups static (i.e. you pick the sounds at the start of the song), or do you change things on the fly mid-song, and differently for each keyboard?
Sometimes it's static throughout the song and sometimes i need to change a patch here and there and tweak the levels or eq. I guess i prefer my setup to be as instantly tweakable as possible so i can counter unexpected events on stage. Like changing patches, tweaking the EQ and levels. I play mostly in backingbands working with different artists/material a lot so i need my setup to be as versatile and fast responding as possible. For those reasons menu diving is unfortunately not an option for me at all when on stage.

The RPS solution sounds promising, i have never used that for anything really so have zero experience. Is this a complicated procedure? Anyhow, i have the manual so im just gonna start from the top :)
Or, you could route the sounds you want to delay through Outputs C/D (or are they 3/4? I can't remember) and send that through your trusty DD-5 pedal.
This seems like a good solution if knobs cant be assigned globally. The reason why i wanted to part with my indeed trusty DD-5 is because the pedal and extra cabels are noisy and i was thinking to go for a cleaner signal. But it seems like this solution (and maybe a new delay unit) is the way to go.

Regarding RAM on the Fantom; I have seen quite few 1GB ram sticks on ebay sold as Fantom X ram but according to Roland the Fantom X can only hold 544 MB. Is it possible to stick more RAM into it than what Roland states?

Some people on this fine site has made nice sample libraries and uploaded them here for us to use. A B4 emulation, a Rhodes and Yamaha piano library for instance. What impact will adding bigger sample libraries like these have on the startup time on the X?

Thank's again for responding and taking my request seriously Andy. Cheers //Soundbvoi
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

I'm on my phone so I'll keep it short cos it's a pig to type on!
RPS (Realtime Phrase Sequencer, I *think*): essentially, you sequence "phrases" and then trigger them in realtime. RPS phrases can be assigned to individual keys or pads. Here's the best bit: for 90+% of things you can tweak on the Fantom X you can record your tweakings as SysEx in the Fantom's sequencer. That includes Bank and Programme Change, CC changes and any parameter that can be programmed with System Exclusive.

So, you can create a single phrase that sets up 16 MIDI tracks, re-routes the MFX, and messes up your keyboard splits and layers and attach all that to one key or pad.

The best way to use it seems to be to stick in Performance mode an set up RPS phrases to change things as you need to change them within the song. Save the patterns and the RPS assignments as a Fantom Song file and you're good to go.

It's a fair bit of work to get it set up, but is worth the effort if you do a lot of changes.

Re Delay: depending on your patches we might be able to fudge the delay and build it into the sound, rather than rely on the MFX. It depends what you need and what else you're doing at the same time.

The bad news: if you need live access to tweaking EQ you might be best going through a mixer or separate eq for that.

Re RAM: many users here (me included) have 1Gb RAM installed and have no issues with it. Above that it seems to get flaky. Most importantly, get the right speed and make sure it's a "low profile" DIMM so it fits inside the Fantom.

I can't remember the load speed in MB/sec but the Fantom sample loading is... slow. Personally, I find it too slow to risk live, but others here do it.

Breathe, make a big pot of coffee, bulk buy paracetamol.
Take it one song at a time and we'll get there.
Oh, do you know what system version you are running?

Andy