Fantom X6-EL CAPITAN-USB Midi not working after upgrade

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
vsun

Fantom X6-EL CAPITAN-USB Midi not working after upgrade

Post by vsun »

Hello,

I am experiencing an issue ever since I upgraded my OS to EL CAPITAN. My Fantom X6 was working fine as a usb midi device in Yosemite but no longer responds since upgrading. I see it listed as offline in the Audio Midi setup utility. I reinstalled the 10.6 driver and still no progress. Does anyone have information on a current workaround? Or do i need to buy a midi to usb cable now?

Thx
baby

Re: Fantom X6-EL CAPITAN-USB Midi not working after upgrade

Post by baby »

Roland hasn't (and may never) updated their Fantom X driver for OS X El Capitan. I have a Fantom X8 and was forced to buy a MIDI-to-USB converter in order to continue using my keyboard.

After reading some horror stories about various converters from different manufacturers, I decided on the iConnectivity mio. It worked right off the bat and has been working with zero problems since. No driver needed, supports Sysex commands (be sure to update the firmware to the latest), and moderately priced.

Remember to remove the old Roland driver that stopped working with El Capitan. Having it around doesn't do any obvious harm, but it's always best not to have any unnecessary third-party extensions loaded. I removed mine by deleting the following file:

/System/Library/Extensions/RDUSB006DDev.kext