Replace screen backlight on X6

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
HaveIt

Replace screen backlight on X6

Post by HaveIt »

My backlight has now completely gone. The screen seems fine except for the backlight. I have opened it up and found the 2 wire power cable to the screen and disconnected/reconnected it but no light.

The entire screen seems pretty expensive and there are very few sources for it, is it possible to replace only the CCFL lights in the display? I have succesfully replaced them in other old keyboards. Does anyone have experience and part numbers?

B
LA Keys

Re: Replace screen backlight on X6

Post by LA Keys »

The part number for the display assembly is: KCG057QV1DB-G00
This is for the whole assembly: LCD + CFL baclit

AFAIK you cannot buy only the CCFL but many version of this display are currently available on e-Bay for as low as $70 shipping incl from China. Note that the "-G00" portion of the part number denote the revision number. I've seen "G50" and "G77" that are backward compatible with "G00" which is the original version.

e-Bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KCG057QV1DB-G50 ... y0&vxp=mtr

The datasheet for this should be easy to find doing a search for "KCG057QV1DB"

Good luck!

LA
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

Wow!

Just found that: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyocera-LC10050 ... XQHeBSE8iK

....$22.00... Problem solved. I'm just wondering how hard it is to replace...

LA
HaveIt

Post by HaveIt »

Can you trust sellers in China? My past experience hasn't been good with ICs and components.

B
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

HaveIt wrote:Can you trust sellers in China? My past experience hasn't been good with ICs and components.

B
There's indeed a lot of junk coming from china but not everything is. In this specific case wherever you buy it I'm pretty sure it will be made from the same manufacturer (Kiocera (Japan)). I'm also aware that many users successfully replaced their LCD, or touchscreen, for different Rolands keyboards with parts from chinese suppliers.

Worst case would be to open a case with e-Bay/PayPal, not a big risk to tak anyways. Btw, cost for buying from Roland is more than $300 for the very same part...

LA
HaveIt

Post by HaveIt »

Wow LA, you've been wonderful help.

I might get the lamp from Nebraska, but the whole display is pretty cheap too... Decisions, decisions.

Many many thanks!
HaveIt

Post by HaveIt »

So 3 months later, I bought a display from Italy on eBay. Cheaper than the China prices in fact. I gotta say this replacement is HARD. Have to remove the central board, power supply, I/O board and the keyboard. Finally get to the frame holding the Kyocera display.

Now it is done the display isn't very bright overall and I can't get the contrast right, the test page is either mostly all black or mostly all white. It doesn't look like the original at all.

At least it is visible now, but perhaps I should move on to software soon :(