STILL OWN MY FANTOM X6

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
EatYerWheeeteez

STILL OWN MY FANTOM X6

Post by EatYerWheeeteez »

Anybody else having a problem with the buttons on the panel? Some of them are not very responsive and I have to push them very hard to get them to do anything.
CesarsoundOne

Re: STILL OWN MY FANTOM X6

Post by CesarsoundOne »

Same problem happend with my XP50. Solution: disassemble the unit to access the buttons board. Put a small drop of WD40 oil on each key and press it fast for at leas 20 times. Do it on each key.

In my case I never had the problem again in 2 years of use.
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

EatYerWheeeteez wrote:Anybody else having a problem with the buttons on the panel? Some of them are not very responsive and I have to push them very hard to get them to do anything.
Yes, this is a very common problem for the aging fantom-X :(

Using WD40 would certainly help, as will most "contact cleaner" for electronics but to really fix the problem you will have to replace the switches. Switches are inexpensive but to replace them you will first need to disassemble just about every boards in your Fantom, then desolder the old switches and solder the new ones.

The switches for the buttons on the Fantom X are all the same. There are 18 of them on the left board. The light is just an added LED under the cap. You only need the switches to fix the problem you have.

According to the service manual the part number is: EVQ11A H=5.0

This is a partial part number, the full part number is EVQ11A05R
Please see this document for more infos:
http://industrial.panasonic.com/lecs/ww ... 00CE11.pdf

Now, the thing is that it is pretty hard to find this exact part number by now. Here is an excellent substitute that I've used: Alps 688-SKQNAED010

This is the datasheet for this series: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/15/Alps_SKQN-315704.pdf

I've replaced many of the switches on my fantom X successfully with those. They are available many places, including Mouser electronics.

Soldering is required as well as disassembling the Fantom X. I would NOT recommend this to someone without experience repairing electronics devices.

LA
tomo

Post by tomo »

I also still use X6 as the workstation keyboard of my live rig. I was thinking about upgrading to the newer FA-06, but it lacks the sampling capabilities which I need for my work. (I have the newest Juno DS in mind as a backup plan). In the course of the past four years I have owned X6 (it wasn't purchased new), I had a number of problems with it, including:

-unresponsive buttons
-crackling knobs
-display dimming
-CPU overheating and failures
-keybed issues

Fortunately, the guy who does the maintenance jobs for me had managed to solve all these problems so far. I don't know the exact details, but he orders the spare parts from a few certified vendors online, so they are either the originals or 100% compatible. I'm sorry I'm not able to give you some more details; just wanted to confirm that these problems you're experiencing with your unit can be solved sucessfuly.