Playback of General MIDI Files (.mid)

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Enverex

Playback of General MIDI Files (.mid)

Post by Enverex »

Hi all,

So I'm still poking about with my "new" Fantom XR and I'm wondering what I should do to get optimal playback of general MIDI files on it. At the moment I switch it into Performance Play mode and switch to User 01. Should I be doing anything else at this point before playing back MIDI files from whatever software? (Rosegarden in this instance).

Also, is it possible to play back MIDI tracks that have more than 16 rows/sections/parts? I've noticed that the majority are 16 or less, but I'm stumbling into some which have 30 or so, but the XR will only show me Part 1-16, so obviously those parts disappear into the ether.

Thanks.
rcraven

Re: Playback of General MIDI Files (.mid)

Post by rcraven »

In a performance there are 16 Parts, as you know.
They can be set to any Midi channel, but in the ROM Performance 001 Seq:Template (not USER because that can be anything) each Part is set to a different Midi channel. Just how you want it for General Midi files.

In a Midi file you can have a large number of tracks, but they all have to be set to one of the 16 Midi channels.

If you have a trumpet sound that isn't playing all the time you can change the patch to a sax and play that then switch back to your trumpet and do that all on one Midi channel.

You can do that on one track in the Midi file, but it is clearer if it is on two (or more).

All the best
Royce