Fantom X8 Patch Issues

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Space Dust

Fantom X8 Patch Issues

Post by Space Dust »

Hello!

I'm trying to help my girlfriend with her Fantom X8, as it seems to be having issues with some of the patches.

"USER:001 UltimatGrand" Every 10 seconds has a burst of static at 100% volume and is incredibly irritating.
"USER002: Strobot" Constant static once a key is played.
"USER003: Full Strings" Seems to work fine.
"USER004: The Vortex" Loud and the notes seem to be clipping.
"USER005: Purple Organ" Quiet and seems fine.
"USER006: X Brs Sect 1" Loud notes and clipping.
"USER007: Flamenco X" Works fine

And the rest of the patches just seem to vary between being too loud and clipping or not. To restore basic functionality/playability would it be a simple matter or reloading the patches, or does it seem that something else might be going on?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Romey

Re: Fantom X8 Patch Issues

Post by Romey »

You might have your output levels set too high. You can check this with the mastering effect meters. If it is clipping you can get noise in the signal. You can lower the output in the systems settings. You might lower the gain to +0 or -6 or -12 under the level where it clips. If your volume knob is generally around 3-4, then doing this would make the knob operate around 6-7 for a good volume level. The master effect metters should not clip. If you are clipping, The mastering effect compressors will not work properly and almost always make things sound worst.
Other than that, you might try a factory reset but save your user patches before doing that. Hope this helps.
Romey
Space Dust

Re: Fantom X8 Patch Issues

Post by Space Dust »

I'll double check the mastering effect meters, but I have a feeling it's something else. If I leave it on for like 20 minutes (to warm up?) and then restart it, it works fine and all the problems go away. Might be a computer/processor issue?
It doesn't make noise when switching between patches, so I don't think it's the "bad motherboard" issue I've read about.. although it very well could be for all I know.

Any ideas?