Fantom-X editor on Mac Mountian Lion problem

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
gearHed289

Fantom-X editor on Mac Mountian Lion problem

Post by gearHed289 »

Hi there, I'm a long time Juno G user, and I just bought a used Fantom XR for use with my PK5 pedals. I'm a bass player and not touching the keys in my current situation, so I figured there's no point in hauling around a full keyboard and stand. Anyway, with the tiny screen on the XR, I thought it would be a good idea to use a software based editor to start recreating some of my Juno performance patches. Having difficulty with both my PC running Windows 10, and my Mac 10.8.5.

Installation on both was fine, but here's where I'm at -

Windows - when I go to MIDI setup, Fantom XR does not appear as an option. Everything reads (none).

Mac - I installed the editor, seemingly with no problems, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Credo

Re: Fantom-X editor on Mac Mountian Lion problem

Post by Credo »

The Mac Version isn't going to work unless you're running Snow Leopard or before (a version that supports PPC code). You 'might' be able to get it working on a newer Mac using something like WINE, or inside a VM running XP, Vista, or Windows 7 (possibly 8, 8.1, or 10 with some driver tweaks).

If you have any old PC/Laptop laying around that still uses XP, Vista, or Windows 7, it should work just fine without any fiddling. It doesn't take a very powerful PC to run the Fantom-X software, so just about any old laptop you can find in bin should be enough.

To get it working under Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 then you'll need to either use a generic MIDI interface and old 5pin DIN cables, or do some fiddling to the Fantom X USB/MIDI driver to install.

I managed to get it working on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 systems by tweaking some files in the driver installation package. Have a look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50840
gearHed289

Re: Fantom-X editor on Mac Mountian Lion problem

Post by gearHed289 »

Thanks for the info. I do have my old PC running XP sitting in my studio. I think I'll just run it on that.