Saving sampled patches

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
acpittpro

Saving sampled patches

Post by acpittpro »

I would like to save my custom drum Rhythm sets permanently. I loaded thousands of .wav drum samples into the CF card like how you are supposed to. I then loaded them into the Fantom's memory and created Rhythm sets that span the entire key bed. Then I press "Write" and save the Patch/Rhythm set. I also hit "Save/Load" and click "Save all samples." I am confused where the Fantom is saving all these samples? Is it to the internal User memory or to the CF card?

Anyway, in order to use those custom Rhythm sets, I have to "Load all samples" when I turn on the Fantom. Then the Rhythm sets work. I only created a few so far, but I'm worried that if the Fantom is saving all samples in it's internal User memory area, I will soon run out of space when loading all samples.

I'm just hoping there is a better way to do this so that I can just use my custom rhythm sets like the factory ones, by just selecting them. Also I want to know where the "Save all samples" saves to?

Thans guys
Romey

Re: Saving sampled patches

Post by Romey »

Press the sample list button. Then F2 to view samples in user memory and F3 for card memory. When you import the sample files, you much change the import destination to the card or they all will end up in the user area.
Hope this helps.
Romey
acpittpro

Post by acpittpro »

There is no option to select where to import audio to. Just execute.
acpittpro

Post by acpittpro »

Man this is crazy, I've been trying to get this done for days.

When I go to "Save All Samples" it always saves to the Internal User location instead of the external memory card. I thought I figured things out by using the "Move" function to move all the samples from the Internal location to the card. I made a few different drum kits this way. Then when I turned it off and back on, the first drum kit I created was all wrong. It was all Kick Drums, but now it was just the last samples I loaded, which were all claps. The rest of the kits I saved didn't play any sound at all.

It's crazy there aren't any straightforward, step-by-step explanations on how to do this. People want to help but they often leave out steps or forget things, or simply don't understand what I'm trying to do.
Romey

Post by Romey »

You have to select the samples destination when you import the sample. You can not do it after you edit and create rythmn sets. You do not describe how you are loading your samples into the Fantom but You must put the samples in the Import audio folder of either the card or the import audio folder in user area, Then
1. Press Save/Load button.
2. Press import audio button.
3. Select your destination either user or card but they will only end up in the destination you put them in.
Romey
acpittpro

Post by acpittpro »

Romey wrote:You have to select the samples destination when you import the sample. You can not do it after you edit and create rythmn sets. You do not describe how you are loading your samples into the Fantom but You must put the samples in the Import audio folder of either the card or the import audio folder in user area, Then
1. Press Save/Load button.
2. Press import audio button.
3. Select your destination either user or card but they will only end up in the destination you put them in.
Romey

I know how to load samples in the fantom.

I am using USB to transfer audio files to the card/tmp/audio_import folder.

When I hit load/save, then Audio Import, click on Card, set all samples, click Import Audio. It doesn't ask me for a destination. It automatically imports to the onboard user memory.

Then when I go to save all samples it also doesn't ask me where to save, but saves all samples to the internal user/Roland/smpl
Romey

Post by Romey »

I am not trying to insult you. Plese don't take this personal. I am only trying to help. On my Fantom, when I put samples in the import audio folder on the card the samples always end up on the card. If I put samples into the import audio folder in the user area they end up in the user area. You are correct, it does not ask for destination when importing. I believe this is how it is supposed to work. If your fantom isn't operating like this, maybe something else. Maybe a reset would help. Can someone else chime in and confirm how you load samples?
Romey
acpittpro

Post by acpittpro »

Romey wrote:I am not trying to insult you. Plese don't take this personal. I am only trying to help. On my Fantom, when I put samples in the import audio folder on the card the samples always end up on the card. If I put samples into the import audio folder in the user area they end up in the user area. You are correct, it does not ask for destination when importing. I believe this is how it is supposed to work. If your fantom isn't operating like this, maybe something else. Maybe a reset would help. Can someone else chime in and confirm how you load samples?
Romey
No worries, my fault. Thank you for trying to help. So from what you are saying, when you place your samples on the card, then import from the card, then Save All Samples - the samples automatically get saved in the "smpl" folder on the card? On mine it automatically saves all samples to the User/Roland/smpl folder on the Fantom, and not on the card.

This is weird. I already formatted the card twice and tried everything a bunch of times. I'm getting a new card on ebay and I'll try it with this one too. It is 8GB, but Roland brand and said to work for the Fantom... we'll see.

I've had this Fantom since 2005 and I never completely learned it. Bought other stuff instead.
Romey

Post by Romey »

No worries here either. I was thinking as well it might be a card issue. I use a 4GB CF card that works good but I would be leary of anything higher since Roland only recommended 1Gb. Just wondering Can you save samples to the card with the write button on the Fantom? I hope you get this sorted out but I am thinking it is probably the card since 8Gb cards were even created when the fantom came out. Still wish someone else would chime in and help us out.
Romey
acpittpro

Post by acpittpro »

I am using a 1 gb card not 8. I bought an 8 on eBay and I didn't get it yet. This is what I have gathered so far:

When I import audio from the external card, the fantom stores these samples in a temporary user area on the fantom.
When I save all samples, all samples from the temporary memory get stored in the fantom user sample folder, not on the external card.

I'm not sure why there is no option to select where "Save All Samples" saves to?

Thanks for all your help and maybe someone else that had this issue can comment.
acpittpro

Post by acpittpro »

Ok I figured it out. I was running OS version 1.0. I read that this was a bug in version 1.0. You couldn't save all samples, but had to save one by one in order for the sample to save on the card. I updated to 1.7 and I am able to save to the external card.
Romey

Post by Romey »

That's great. That is good information as I did not know.
Romey
acpittpro

Post by acpittpro »

A quick observation. Since I still have stock 32mb ram, I noticed that it won't let me load all my samples and gives me a message saying the memory is full. Now, when I look in file utility, the internal memory still shows over 20 mb free space. I'm thinking that there is another storage location that isn't viewable to the user, which acts like temporary ram for user samples. With the ram upgrade I should be able to load more user samples but even if I have 1 gb in user samples, it won't be able to load since the ram I get will be only 512 mb. So I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't matter how big the external memory card is, since you can only load as many samples as fit in the internal RAM.
Romey

Post by Romey »

One thing to note is that the internal user memory is not the RAM. They just are the same size in capacity unless you add more RAM. The fantom will load all samples from user memory into RAM, then load samples from the card until the RAM is full. When power off the RAM will lose all data and has to be refilled at power on again. I can only assume that you have 20mb+ of samples on the card plus 12mb on the user memory, thus the RAM fills up and you get the error. The sample list will tell you how much RAM you are using by combining the samples in user and card sections.

You are essentially correct on that last statement. But thats not even the worse. Wait till you see how long it takes the fantom load 512mb -544mb of samples. It takes 45 minutes or so.
However the card with additional space can used in different ways to utilize the extra space. for example the card can hold multiple sets of samples where you could load just the set you need with a filename change to the samples on the card. Also the Audio track update allows you load samples that are part of a song file such as vocals,etc. without filling up the RAM with your other samples and more. So a large capacity card is not totally useless. With version 1.07 OS. some of these featueres are not available.
Romey
acpittpro

Post by acpittpro »

I just installed 512 MB memory in the unit. It's too bad I don't have the Audio Track Expansion. I bought this keyboard in 2005 and could have had Roland send me a free upgrade but I didn't go for it.

Yeah, I confused the internal user area for the RAM. I found this article and what you say confirms it:

http://roland.com/support/article/?q=fa ... id=1832068

I have about 500 samples on the CF card and it's taking the Fantom about 2 minutes to load.

I have one more question or observation if you could confirm this for me. When I "Save All Samples" I think it is re-saving all the samples that are already saved if they have been loaded in memory. Because I have "load user samples on startup" turned on, and so, even though I am only importing 60 new samples that I want to save, it's taking like 5 minutes to save because I think it is going through each sample I loaded from the beginning and re-saving everything. Does this sound correct to you?