Patch sound vs Performance sound

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
egjxpa

Patch sound vs Performance sound

Post by egjxpa »

Hi everybody,
I would like to give my contribute to the never completely solved problem of how to get EXACTLY the same sound in Patch and in Performance mode. In FAQ, chapter 3.1,it is described how to assign a part the same effects of the relative patch. This way the sound obtained is very similar to the Patch mode one... but not exactly the same, as many users have noticed! Generally the sound is a little less bright and rich.To understand why this happens, we must remember that a patch is a combination of up to 4 tones and each one has its individual MFX setting! When we assign a patch to a perfomance part and assign the part the effects of the patch, we have to choose the amount of signal (0-127) that goes to the MFXs and to reverb and chorus. This, unfortunately, applies to all the tones of the patch which, of course, will sound slightly different than in patch mode where, I repeat, each tone has its individual MFX, reverb and chorus setting. So, what to do? This is my solution: if you have, let's say, a 4 tone patch, you have to assign the patch to 4 different parts (let's say part1,part2,part3,part4), then in the routing section of the effects, assign each part the amount of signal that goes to MFX ,rev. and chorus. How much? For part1 the same as for tone1, for part2 the same as for tone2 and so on. How do you get these amounts? In patch mode click the "effects" button and if you toggle the tone number (upper left section of the routing screen) you will see these amounts change as the tones change. At this point you select part1, click the button "patch edit", go to "tone sw/select" and switch on only tone1.Save the edited patch with the name you like and repeat these steps for the other 3 parts(for part2 switch on only tone2 and so on..). At this point you have a performance with 4 parts, each one sounding exactly the way each of the 4 tones sounds in patch mode! Save and enjoy! I understand my explanation is not very detailed, so if someone is interested I will be glad to give further step by step explanation.
gdh

Re: Patch sound vs Performance sound

Post by gdh »

Thank-you for this post, I am just starting to dig into the Fantom X6 that I will take to jam session vs hauling a rack containing 2 JD 900's with Vintage and Sounds of 60's/70's installed.

I noticed that when creating a performance with internal patches ie. organs that the modulation stick doesn't work, pitch bend is fine. Thanks to your post and the Workshop Series I am figuring this board out.