XR Screen Freezes

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Integraty

XR Screen Freezes

Post by Integraty »

Hello Fantom Folks!!

I'm an old newbie, so to speak! I forgot my username after not having visited here for years !

I have an Integra 7 so I'm selling my XR-Module which has four SRX expansions Installed
I like to be honest when I sell things and I want buyers to be fully aware, so here's the problem...

The screen freezes after about 30-60 minutes of none-use. (It never freezes if you're using the unit and keep changing sounds ) Sounds can be selected and the unit sounds but the screen is frozen !
The only solution is to reboot. Everything else works perfectly !

Is there a solution to this? It does have the latest operating system.

Thankyou
Integraty

Re: XR Screen Freezes

Post by Integraty »

No takers ?
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Long distance electronics diagnoses is very difficult.
What I can tell you is that errors that occur after a time of working are often due to heat (also often a software problem, but I think you can rule that out).
Materials expand with heat and at different amounts that can cause connections to open up. This can be aggravated by oxidation of (and / or dust on) the contacts.
If this was my synth, with the power off and disconnected, I would open it up and wherever I could see an IC in a socket I would gently push it into the socket.
Often it will 'click' and the problem will go away.
If it doesn't try unplugging and re-connecting connectors on / between the circuit boards one at a time. This will sort of clean the connections.

This is a relatively easy process for the novice and always where I start when I get old equipment with problems.

My brother, who lives on the other side of Australia, recently bought a Yamaha organ from the 80's.
It had originally sold for over $25k, but he paid next to nothing as it hadn't worked for many years.
This was to be his first electronics project.
He is now very cocky as I emailed him the same info above and it now all works perfectly.

The next thing likely to be wrong is a capacitor as these can age and fail sitting in a cupboard unused.
So as your synth is open, look for electrolytic capacitors (Google for pics) and if the tops are bulging or, far worse, there are signs of something leaking out perhaps it might be the time to locate a friendly tech.

All the best
Royce
Integraty

Post by Integraty »

Thank you for your reply.
I've had a check and reseated the SRX boards - which I had done previously but it's worth doing again. I'll go out and leave the unit on and see what happens...

Thanks again
Integraty

Post by Integraty »

The unit has been on for four hours without freezing. Problem solved!

Thank you once again for your reply!

Kind regards !
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

Just wanted to add that I also suggest that you sell those SRX boards separately and individually. You will certainly get more money this way than if you bundle everything together, although it make take a bit longer before selling everything.

just my $0.02
:)

LA
Integraty

Post by Integraty »

LA Keys wrote:Just wanted to add that I also suggest that you sell those SRX boards separately and individually. You will certainly get more money this way than if you bundle everything together, although it make take a bit longer before selling everything.

just my $0.02
:)

LA
Thank you

You're right .... I guess I was looking for a quick sale