Sound "delay"

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Flowrian123

Sound "delay"

Post by Flowrian123 »

Hi everybody,

I've got a problem that bothers me, since I own my Fantom XR.
There are several sounds I can't use the way I want, because it responds very slow.
For example: I don't find any sound in the string section that reacts instantly to the pressing of a key.

When i bought the Fantom in 2007 I was amazed by the realistic sound and they are really great in quality,
but when I wanted to play "show must go on" from Queen for example the eights you play are "too short" for the sound to expand.

It is the same with akkordeon. If you play a faster meldoy you just can hear the beginning of the sampled sound, which is a weak blow of an akkordeons bellow.

I am not a pro editor for sure, so i am glad for any help or advice.
It can't be the attack time, i guess, because the tone/ sampled instrument is not to be edited in its
basic shape...or am I wrong?

thanks in advance,
Flo
LA Keys

Re: Sound "delay"

Post by LA Keys »

Flowrian123 wrote:I am not a pro editor for sure, so i am glad for any help or advice.
It can't be the attack time, i guess, because the tone/ sampled instrument is not to be edited in its
basic shape...or am I wrong?
Yep, you are ... wrong ....

The thing is that the attack time can be modified for any sample, regardless of what is the original (real) instrument. Just about every samples are then 'recorded' at the same constant velocity from the beginning to end (yes, there are some exceptions to that). You then use the attack and release time to produce a more realistic sound.

To have faster attack you then just have to reduce the TVA attack time of each of the tones of the patch. Have a look at the 'creating patch' section of the manual as this also apply for editing a patch. I suggest to first copy the original patch and then experiment on the copy of the patch. You will see that it's not very hard to obtain the effect you whish.

Note that you may also have to reduce both the TVF and TVA attack times. This is because on some patches the TVF is 'slowly' opening the filters. As a basic rule simply reduce the TVF attack time about the same proportion as for the TVA attack time.

I hope this will help!

LA
Flowrian123

Re: Sound "delay"

Post by Flowrian123 »

Thank you very much LA, I'll try that instantly :)