Polyphonic (Key) Aftertouch

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
rcraven

Polyphonic (Key) Aftertouch

Post by rcraven »

Did you know that the FanX responds to Polyphonic Aftertouch?
Of course the Keypad puts out Aftertouch and it stands to reason it would be Key Aftertouch, but the whole synth responds to it?
So many manuals, so much missed information.

Anyway I have been having a bit of fun with a program I just wrote that converts the Channel Aftertouch to the last note played Key Aftertouch.
Chord in the left and solo with bends in the right hand.
A a variable amount of vibrato just in the solo part? Sure thing.
Lots of fun so I thought you might like to try. (PC program I'm afraid)

Modify the patch by putting setting Aftertouch (Key and Channel are grouped together) to Pitch in the Matrix for pitchbend or Aftertouch to LFO1 PCH DEPTH for variable vibrato.

http://www.bwalk.com.au/ChannelToKey/ChannelToKey.html

All the best
Royce
Andy Keys

Re: Polyphonic (Key) Aftertouch

Post by Andy Keys »

Oh wow! I'll have to have a play with this, Royce!

How on earth did you discover that?

Regards
Andy
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi Andy
I was looking at the new Novation Pro Launchpad and, like the new Linn Pad, it is pressure sensitive on each pad (like the FantomX's pads but I find them a bit unresponsive) .
Strangely none of my Novation synths respond to key AT and the demo on utube was with a Roland JXi.
I checked and all the Roland synths I have (I haven't checked the JXP8) and they are all responsive to key (polyphonic) AT.
I was always impressed that Roland used Midi Note off with varying velocity, (my Motif XS uses Note On with 0 velocity) , but I only know of Ensonic's SQ-80 with key AT. So I never thought much more about it.

I hope you like it. Unfortunately my FanX8, bought new, has, always had, a next to useless AT.
I need to open it up and fix it, but I have been using my Moft XS8, which has a great AT, instead.
Its ironic that Roland has a such a great AT synth implementation but a rotten AT keybed.

I started just using the program for the upper voice, but you can still hold that voice and play a new note and the AT is moved to that key. So you can, sort of, move the AT between voices.
Note, that to avoid the AT 'sticking' on a key, the program zero's it out before shifting it to the new key.

All the best
Royce
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

After getting completely annoyed with the Fanx8 Channel AT, I have modified the program so you can choose between Channel AT and any CC

The program is channel independent.
Whatever the Channel the incoming AT / CC is , is the Channel of the Key AT that goes out.

This is so you don't have to set the Midi output Channel on the program.
If you merge in more than one keyboard or you change Midi Channels, the program changes from the old channel to the new one.

Be aware that this could be a problem if you are using an separate Keyboard and Midi pedal.

I am happily using a Behringer FBC1010 with the FanX - merging these using MidiOx and routing that to MidiYoke1.
On the program the input is MidiYoke1 and the Output is back to the FanX.
It seems to work well.

http://www.bwalk.com.au/ChannelToKey/ChannelToKey.html
If you have been to this page before, don't forget to refresh he page (F5 on a PC)

All the best
Royce