WEIRD Fantom X8 display glitch

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
koolAnim8r

WEIRD Fantom X8 display glitch

Post by koolAnim8r »

I've got LOTS of miles on my X8...it's by far the BEST keyboard I've ever owned (saying a lot...I've probably owned least 20-25 different boards in the past 30 years). It's been all over the western united states and has been used as my primary board in well over 600 gigs in the past 12 years! And not a single problem til now.

So....a couple of weeks ago, I set up for a gig and noticed that the display was doing something really odd. The display is divided into 3 vertical columns...column #1 is the left 1/3rd of what normally shows. the center 1/3rd is a blank gray, and the right 1/3rd REPEATS the left 1/3rd of the screen, color shifted. (see images below)

Obviously the workstation functions are pretty much unusable like this, so I need to either fix it or replace my "baby".

Anybody seen this before? more importantly....any quick ideas on how to fix this? Not sure it's actually a problem with the display, and don't want to plunk down $400 for a new one if it's just a bad ribbon cable, loose connector, or something stupid like that...
Andy Keys

Re: WEIRD Fantom X8 display glitch

Post by Andy Keys »

That feels like a duff ribbon cable to me, although I have no technical basis for that.
Check the ribbon is properly seated in the socket. If not, have you tried a factory reset? (I appreciate that almost every problem raised now gets that response).

Let us know.
Andy