MIDI sync

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
gcoudert67

MIDI sync

Post by gcoudert67 »

I have an X8 and an X7. What I wanted to do was connect the two so that their sequencers ran in sync, which was easy to achieve. Now, how do I prevent the X8 from sending non-MIDI Clock data (note on/off, etc.) to the X7 when playing parts on the former? I have looked at the manual (p. 230 & 231, System --> MIDI) and it is possible to stop the synths from transmitting and/or receiving lots of data types but not notes. Likewise, the MIDI Filter page of Performances (p.113) doesn't help. I have tried all sorts of settings in vain, even turning of the channel Rx setting on the X7 didn't work as it turned off the part altogether.
Can anybody please help? Thanks.
LA Keys

Re: MIDI sync

Post by LA Keys »

I'm thinking that maybe you can use a third keyboard as the master clock, or anything else that can be a midi master. (I'm sure you have more keyboards waiting somewhere, no?)

This way both the X7 and X8 will sync together when set as slave.

LA
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

I haven't got any more keyboards but I do have a Tascam DP-24SD recorder. It hasn't got MIDI but I could sell it on and get the older and cheaper DP24, which does generate MIDI Clock. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion!
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

Hummm, then maybe you could try with software...

All you need is any software that can be used as a midi master (there's a whole bunch) run it on iPad, windows, Mac Os or whatever you have, you will of course need a midi interface unless you can use the Fantom X USB.

LA
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

LA Keys wrote:Hummm, then maybe you could try with software...

All you need is any software that can be used as a midi master (there's a whole bunch) run it on iPad, windows, Mac Os or whatever you have, you will of course need a midi interface unless you can use the Fantom X USB.

LA
I want to avoid carrying a PC/laptop but the Tascam solution is fine. Thanks!
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

Oh, I am such an idiot! All I had to do was switch all the X8's song parts to INT (they are set to BOTH, i.e. internal and external, by default)! I now synchronise the two Fantoms using MMC rather than MIDI Clock. Not only do both sequencers start at the exact same time but if I rewind or fast forward, the X7's song position follows the X8's. I now have a 32-track MIDI sequencer with 16 audio tracks!

Another advantage is that I can now see where I am in the song just by looking at the X7's display (the X8's is hidden below if I play standing up) although I suppose I could drive the X8 from the X7 rather than the other way round.

gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

I had to lower the MMC error correction value from 5 to 3 in order to keep both machines in sync but it seems to work better now. With the X8 running the backing sequence sequence and controlling the square/pulse LFO on a manually-played X7 patch (think Genesis' Mama), the LFO would drift out of sync by the time I got to the second part of the song. It is better now.