Noob Midi Controller Question

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
2Him4Him

Noob Midi Controller Question

Post by 2Him4Him »

I'm apologizing in advance for this 'noob' question, but I've googled anything I could think of and I'm just not coming up with anything. Honestly, I'm probably just lacking the terminology. So here's my softball question:

I have 2 Roland keyboards that I currently use (depending on whether I'm at home, the office, or at a gig), and I'm just now exploring a little more into using them specifically as a midi controller, in conjunction with Mainstage 3. I'm currently trying to map everything within Mainstage to my old Fantom-S. Most of it has been fairly straight-forward, but my question is this: Are there only a handful of buttons / knobs able to mapped on the Fantom? For example, I easily mapped the 'RealTime Control' knobs to different fx, but I also wanted to try and map either the 'F1-F8' buttons, or even the 'Cursor' buttons to other functions within my soft synths. Is this possible? Or are all the knobs / buttons not able to be mapped?

More rig info:
Laptop -- MBP
Keyboards -- Fantom-S, Fa-08
Interface -- Universal Audio Apollo Twin
Software -- Mainstage / Ableton Live / Pro Tools 11

EDIT: Or maybe an easier question would be -- Synths that are not specifically marketed as a 'controller', can all knobs & buttons be mapped? Or only a select few?
gcoudert67

Re: Noob Midi Controller Question

Post by gcoudert67 »

Those buttons don't transmit MIDI data. They are dedicated to internal navigation / functions.
MIDI controllers will have assignable buttons / knobs / sliders.