Changing the folder name on a Fantom XR

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
pauli494

Changing the folder name on a Fantom XR

Post by pauli494 »

Is there a way to change the folder name on the CF card directly from a Fantom XR? I'm pretty sure you can do that on the Fantom keyboard i've read elsewhere here.. I'd like to store different things on one card and be able to change and load up something else without having to drag a laptop around.. thanks..
gcoudert67

Re: Changing the folder name on a Fantom XR

Post by gcoudert67 »

You can't change folder names on the keyboard versions either. Only from a PC via USB.
pauli494

Post by pauli494 »

gcoudert67 wrote:You can't change folder names on the keyboard versions either. Only from a PC via USB.
ok, i got that info here from this post about mid-way down by member Credo... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=50224#p286209
So, if I want to change from my STUDIO-B setup to my STUDIO-A setup then I use either the Fantom itself, or my PC to rename "ROLAND" to "STUDIO-B". If I have stuff in the TMP directory that I want to preserve, then I also rename that to STUIOD-B-TMP. Next, I change "STUDIO-A" to "ROLAND' and "STUDIO-A-TMP" to "TMP".
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

No, he must be mistaken. The only folder options are delete, move and copy. And I have the latest OS version.

LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

This should work:

- Have some folders (directory) with a descriptive name. You will put one .svd file in each folder.
- Have one more folder named ROLAND. This is where you will put the svd file you want to use.

Now you can use the delete function to remove the current svd file in the ROLAND folder and replace it with another one , using the copy function. This way you never delete the 'original' svd file that is kept under a distinct directory and always use a copy that is in the ROLAND folder.

LA

Edit: Note that you will loose all edits made on the current file, unless you do the same process reverse way: Delete the original in the custom named folder, then copy (or move) the file from the Roland folder to your custom named folder.
pauli494

Post by pauli494 »

LA Keys wrote:This should work:

- Have some folders (directory) with a descriptive name. You will put one .svd file in each folder.
- Have one more folder named ROLAND. This is where you will put the svd file you want to use.

Now you can use the delete function to remove the current svd file in the ROLAND folder and replace it with another one , using the copy function. This way you never delete the 'original' svd file that is kept under a distinct directory and always use a copy that is in the ROLAND folder.

LA

Edit: Note that you will loose all edits made on the current file, unless you do the same process reverse way: Delete the original in the custom named folder, then copy (or move) the file from the Roland folder to your custom named folder.
That sounds like a good idea, i'll give it a try... i guess i'd need to do the same thing with the tmp files? I'm not quite sure how those files relate to the roland folder... thanks
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

Ok, I realized that what I've wrote above is somewhat incorrect...

The root folder is indeed named ROLAND but the "fans.svd" file is always under the SND sub-folder (Not directly under ROLAND folder as I've wrote)

For most banks you ONLY need to move the fans.svd file to the correct location (ROLAND/SND)

Most of the time you don't have to do anything about any other sub-folder or file....
Then you may or may not find some other sub-folders along the SND folder those are: PNL, SEQ, SMPL SND and TMP. Of those you only need to be concerned about the SMPL directory that may contain samples. This only applies to banks having patches using samples. If the original bank use samples from the SMPL sub-folder then you will also need to move those samples. You may also find an svq file in the SNG sub-folder (under the SVQ sub-folder). Although very few banks are using this it is good to know that the svq file is not a 'song' but in fact a sequence that is used to change the sound of the patches. An example of this is the B4 Real organ bank.

LA
pauli494

Post by pauli494 »

Everything went pretty smooth moving things around in this way except that i could not copy and paste, it would give me an error, i had to use the move function. This was due to me using an 8gb card which i had read other people had trouble using larger cards. I switched to a 1gb card and could perform all functions smoothly even copying the svd file from the user bank to the card bank with all 256 patches but you have to cycle the power button off and on to get them to show up and activate. I did discover a workaround for getting all of your patches from the user bank to the card bank while using the larger card. I had read where a lot of folks had troubles here too and had to resort to painstakingly moving 1 patch at a time to the card. After loading your patches to the user bank via usb/midi through the librarian reconnect in storage mode to the internal side then go to the Roland/SND folder and copy and paste the svd file to your desktop on your computer. Disconnect from your computer and reconnect via storage to the card side and copy and paste from the desktop to your Roland/SND folder there. (make sure to move the current svd file elsewhere first) then cycle the power button. One other thing i could not find or overlooked in the manual was how to switch between the user and card in the file utility, use the F2 (group) button to cycle between user and card...
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

pauli494 wrote:... but you have to cycle the power button off and on to get them to show up and activate...
I think that if you pull out the memory card and then put it back it will show the (newly moved) patches on the card within a few seconds. Not 100% sure but worth trying as it is much faster than cycling the power.

LA
pauli494

Post by pauli494 »

LA Keys wrote:
I think that if you pull out the memory card and then put it back it will show the (newly moved) patches on the card within a few seconds. Not 100% sure but worth trying as it is much faster than cycling the power.

LA
You are correct, that does work and much more quickly! :-) After moving things, unplug the card and plug it back in again, turn value knob once and they are there, thanks!!