Fantom-X patch edit help

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Kingy75

Fantom-X patch edit help

Post by Kingy75 »

Hi guys,

There's a particular string patch on my Fantom-X6 that has a slight volume swell on sustained/held notes that I'd like to remove i.e. I don't want the volume swell in there - but I'm not sure which parameter to adjust to remove it. Can anyone help, please?

Many thanks,
Chris
gcoudert67

Re: Fantom-X patch edit help

Post by gcoudert67 »

TVA Env. Check the envelope settings. Attack and Decay will be the main culprits.
If you're still stuck and the sound is a preset, let me know which one it is and I'll help.
gpd6111

Post by gpd6111 »

Did you get help with this? I'm trying to modify string sounds so they don't swell out of control the longer i hold them.. i want be "compress" the dynamic range and have tried a lot of things to no avail. I'm fairly new to programming the Roland Fantom (x8). Thanks.
harmonizer

Post by harmonizer »

I don't have a Fantom-X, but I have some experience with custom patches on the predecessor Roland XV. As gcoudert67 indicated, the TVA Envelope settings may help. There is discussion about this on page 73 of the Fantom-X Owners Manual - note the diagram in the lower left of that page. In the XV-5050 owners manual, there is some text in the additional table rows which follows this diagram on page 49 (of the XV-5050 Owners Manual). This might help as well (I don't see as clear an explanation in the Fantom-X manual).

The first thing I would do would be to check the settings in the Roland-supplied patch, looking at its TVA Envelope level values (levels 1 thru 4). If Level 3 if higher than Level 2, then the TVA Envelope level values may be causing the behavior you don't like, and you might be able to fix this with a custom patch. (if Level 3 is not higher than Level 2, then I have no idea what to do).

In the Roland XV, you would need to start by creating a custom patch in the User bank of patches. I have only done this on the XV, and not on a Fantom. On the XV, I am not aware of a way to copy an entire patch from one of the "standard patch banks" to a place in the "user patch bank": I can only use the "XV Librarian" to copy a patch from one location in the User Bank to another location in the User Bank. If the same is true for the Fantom-X, try to find a starting point with as few goofy effects as possible, and copy that.

Whether you do it via manual editing or via a utility, you would start by making sure you have recreated the the standard patch as a custom one in your User bank of patches, and verify that it sounds the same (warts and all). Then change TVA Envelope Level3 to match Level 2. I hope this helps.