Memory Card Nightmare

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
2TIM316

Memory Card Nightmare

Post by 2TIM316 »

Can anyone explain to me exactly what type and even what make and model of memory card I need to obtain to go in a Fantom XR module?

I carefully searched the Data Storage and Exchange section for this information. Upon checking with three well-known computer stores (Fry's, CompUSA, and PC Club) no-one had heard of such a PC Card to Compact Flash adapter. The way it sounds on this forum, they're easily obtainable for under 10 bucks. No way was that my experience.

So I finally wind up with what I thought was the appropriate card - a 128mb Smart Media card from CompUSA. But the slot on the XR looks much wider than the card.

Do I have the right card? If not, can someone please tell me exactly what type, make, and model of card to get. I don't want an adaptor, I just want the type of card that the slot is designed for.

This has become a total nightmare in contrast to an otherwise pleasant experience in integrating an XR into my professional setup.

Thank you so much in advance!
dansgold

Re: Memory Card Nightmare

Post by dansgold »

If you buy this:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... pfp=BROWSE

Then you can use Secure Digital, Smart Media (3.3 volt only), Multi Media, or Memory Stick cards

If you buy this:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... pfp=BROWSE

Then you can use CompctFlash, including some of the CF-Format microdrives.

I have both ... and they work perfectly in my FantomX6. It's especially handy to be able to pop the card back-n-forth with my laptop.
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

Thanks so much. You know it's incredible. I was just in Comp USA. It's where I bought the Smart Media card (which I now realize is the wrong card - lucky I didn't open it), and the guy knew nothing about these two items which his own store carries. I even brought in a picture of the Fantom XR to show them and they had no idea what I was talking about - any of them.

To me it makes no sense to spend $30 on an adapter and then another however much on the card. However $14.99 for a CF to PC card adapter is reasonable considering the flexibility it allows. I will probably go that route.

However what type of card goes directly in the slot in the Fantom XR and where can it be purchased?

Thanks again for your help!
Sergievsky

Post by Sergievsky »

Nobody in Comp USA knows anything about computers...or printers or just about anything they sell. I now ask help from a salesperson just for amusement. They come up to me enthusiastically and quite often snobbishly and ask what I need to know, and they have NEVER been able to answer anything I asked.

It's a truly wonderful thing there are forums like this. (which is why I signed up). Am a new Fantom XR user BTW. Hello and merry xmas to everyone.

Raul
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

Obviously. Well I've printed out the information that dansgold shared from Comp USA's own website, including a sheet that indicates that the very store I went to in fact has the Dazzle CF adaptor in stock for $14.99. I will thus attempt to return the Smart Media card, purchase the Dazzle adaptor, and then purchase as CF card to go in it. However I am not expecting much. If they crap out, I'll just order the stuff online. But I will also e-mail their main headquarters to tell them how inept their sales staff is. But they get one more chance today.

Thanks again!
dansgold

The kind of card that

Post by dansgold »

... into the FantomX is a "PCMCIA Drive" or "PCMCIA Flash" card.

Frankly, they're expensive compared to CF or Smart Media cards, etc. (and harder to find)

Many people were taken aback when the Fantom was released because of this very point ... the expense of the PCMCIA form-factor.

But it was Roland's intention all along that people would get an adaptor and use whatever card format they prefered.

I think it's the right way to go. I have various formats of cards lying around from digital cameras etc. ... Sony Sticks, SD, and CF ... I've upgraded all of those devices cards to larger ones ... so I use the old 16MB and 32MB cards in my Fantom X6

Works great.
SaltyDawg

Post by SaltyDawg »

Wow, great information in this thread.

What has everyone's experience with the 2 types (Secure Digital and COmpact Flash) been? Is one of these better than the other? Which one is more reliable? Which one is faster?

My gear list.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

As far as I know from Nathan's reports, SD cards won't work with the Fantoms since they dosn't support the needed encyption algorithms.

A.
dansgold

Post by dansgold »

SD, CF and Sony Memory Stick formats work fine in my Fantom X6.
SaltyDawg

Post by SaltyDawg »

So, nobody has any info on which flash memory standard is better? Like which is faster and more reliable? I am about to buy one of these adapters and a memory card, but I don't want to buy a SD and later find out I should have got a compact flash, or vice versa.

My gear list.
dansgold

Consider your needs carefully ...

Post by dansgold »

... and proceed accordingly.

If you get a "4x" CF card, you'll have a card which is capable of operating faster than the FantomX's card-reader. So, you'll be certain that you are getting the fastest possible data-rate.

SD Cards and Sony Memory Sticks are rated differently than CF ... so I don't know how to determine the exact data-rate comparison to CF.

I'll say this though, I don't notice any diiference in patch access or sample loading time between the 3 formats. My guess would be that they are all operating at the max speed of the FantomX.
The_Czar

Post by The_Czar »

I love the CF card setup I have. I bought a 512, the adapter, and a nice little usb reader/writer that's about the size of a jump drive. It works great.

Smoke Club!
SaltyDawg

Post by SaltyDawg »

So is 512 the biggest size the Fantom will recognize or can I use a 1 gig card? I was thinking about getting a 1 gig SD card, but that would really suck if after I got it the Fantom XR couldn't read it.

My gear list.
mucsusn

Post by mucsusn »

The XR will read a gig.