svd file on user vs. card

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
booyakasha12

svd file on user vs. card

Post by booyakasha12 »

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this after picking up an x again.
If I want to try someone else's sounds like "andromeda's" set that is just an svd file.. I have to replace the svd/svs file on the internal, right? What is the point of the user card svd? How does one copy files from one svd to another if the librarian only reads fxl?
I keep getting confused with why even have the card svd file, unless it's my stored settings and user patches.. however I'm not sure how to load that from the internal or file utility.
gcoudert67

Re: svd file on user vs. card

Post by gcoudert67 »

I can't answer all yor questions but what I would do is copy the whole 'Roland' folder of the Andromeda set to a blank, newly formatted card and leave your user bank alone. If I remember correctly, that sound set contains samples so copying the svd/svs file won't be enough.
booyakasha12

Post by booyakasha12 »

so if you copy a svd file over that has samples..
Can you copy samples over or do you also have to audio import samples as well?
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

booyakasha12 wrote:so if you copy a svd file over that has samples..
Can you copy samples over or do you also have to audio import samples as well?
You really don't need to. I mean, all the samples would have to be copied to the right locations, etc. When somebody shares a sample-based bank online, everything is there, ready to use. All you need to do is copy the content of their 'Roland' folder to a blank CF card using a PC/Mac connected to the Fantom via USB, insert the card into the Fantom, switch the Fantom on, wait for everything to load and you can then play the patches. No need to fiddle with svd files or samples.

1. Format card in Fantom and leave it there.
2. Download the Andromeda bank or whatever. That'll be a folder called 'Roland'.
3. Connect the Fantom to your PC in USB Storage Mode: MENU --> USB Storage --> Memory Card.
4. On your PC, browse to the downloaded 'Roland' folder and Copy it.
5. On the PC, browse to the Fantom drive and open it. You will see two folders, called 'Roland' and 'TMP'. Paste the copied 'Roland' folder into it, replacing the existing one.
6. Eject the Fantom drive from the PC.
7. Restart the Fantom, making sure that it is first set to load all card samples on startup or the samples won't load.
8. In Patch mode, select Card and you should be able to play the patches.

Any difficulties, feel free to PM me.