Fantom X, Creating multisamples

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
monks

Fantom X, Creating multisamples

Post by monks »

Hi, I'm trying to figure this out. I've read this thread here

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53475&p=301820#p301820

but I'm still having trouble. I'm trying to create a multisampled patch. The samples are all on a Mem card. I've followed the instructions in the user manual p153 onwards. After creating the multisample it kinda leaves you with no help after that...

I create the multisample, set all of the pitches, save as a multi sample, assign to kbrd etc, then create a patch and assign the MSM and save the patch. The patch then plays from the Keyboard just fine UNTIL I turn off the keyboard. When I turn it on again and select the patch I've just saved, there is no sound from the keys. When I try to edit the patch everything seems ok...the wave Group is set to MSM, and Wave Bank is set to card where the samples are...the samples are listed, but there's no sound when I play the kbrd. If I select piano tone (reinstating the sound from the original edited patch), that plays fine.
The samples are originally on a Memory card. How can I save a patch onto the Memory card? I read somewhere they are automatically saved there. Any help with this? Where are multisamples stored and can you navigate to them and inspect them?

Thanks,
monks
LA Keys

Re: Fantom X, Creating multisamples

Post by LA Keys »

I think that the part your missing is about loading the samples from the memory card to the internal sample memory.

If the samples are not loaded into the internal memory you will hear nothing, which appear to be what's happening. Also, the memory itself got erased every time you turn off the Fantom X, which is why it work only once for you.

To load the samples there's basically 2 ways:

- Manually load the samples: See page 147 of the manual for that.
- Automatically load all the samples at startup: Via the SYSTEM menu, => Start Up => "Load user samples at startup" (see manual p. 234). Note that this may take a VERY long time to complete.

LA
monks

Post by monks »

Hi LA, thanks for your reply. The load user samples on start up is one of the first things I set when I bought the keyboard. It's set to ON. It doesn't load the samples as far as I can tell- I think it's loading the user ones ok though...certainly not the card samples. I've also just tried the load samples manually and that doesn't fix it either.

When I go to Sample List , select Card, there are no samples listed on the card...and I know for a fact there are via my USB connection on the computer-. . Are there any special directory structures that I need to know about? My Memory Card has the following directories

ROLAND
>SND
>TMP
>>>>>>AUDIO_IMPORT
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> sample.wavs

So samples are in TMP>AUDIO_IMPORT

To try to manually load samples I go to the SAVE/LOAD button and then from the menu select Import all samples and then when I check the Card samples, it is empty.

The only time I can see the samples is if I use the SAVE/LOAD > Import Audio...

//ok finally got the samples working with a patch AFTER I turn off...but you know what?...I have to import the samples manually via SAVE/LOAD>Import Audio...I then have to mark them and import them!! The auto import on startup done not work. I tried to copying the samples into the root folder of the Mem card and it doesn't change anything. Saving the patch to either Card or User produces the same result: no samples on boot up. Manual import audio required.

SOLVED: I had to SAVE ALL SAMPLES after using the Import Audio. That was not covered anywhere in the manual. It's a poor manual certainly in terms of creating multisample patches. I'm going to have to walk through this all again and save the instructions for later use because I will definitely forget how to do this!
monks

Post by monks »

Here's a rough walkthrough for anyone else trying to figure this out...

Set Fantom to load all samples on startup.

Fantom > MENU > SYSTEM > SAMPLING > SET DEFAULT TYPE WAV or AIFF
Fantom > MENU > SYSTEM > STARTUP > Load all samples on Startup set to ON

***Copy Samples to Mem card***

Turn off Fantom
Plug in USB cable to computer and Fantom.
Turn on Fantom.
Menu > USB Storage > CARD > ENTER and connect

Open up Card on Computer. Transfer samples as .WAV to TMP>AUDIO_IMPORT (directory structure may not be important)

Computer>Right click > Eject to close the Mem card.
Disconnect USB cable (optional).

***Create Multisample****

SAVE/LOAD> Import Audio
select CARD
Navigate folders using Cursor buttons
Mark Set all samples
Import Audio > Execute

***Save samples to Mem Card****

SAVE/LOAD > Save All samples > EXEC
SAMPLE LIST > SAMPLE EDIT > SAMPLE PARAM..set all samples pitches.

SAVE/LOAD > SAVE ALL SAMPLES (again...since I changed the pitches- not sure if this is necessary)

*MARK SAMPLES

SAMPLE LIST> LOAD UTILITY
Create Multisample

Set Name

Write > Assign to kbd.

Patch Edit
General > Assign to category
Wave> Group = MSM, WAVE BANK= CARD (samples should show up)
WRITE button
Write to Patch/Rhythm
Create Name for Patch
PATCH WRITE TO USER or CARD or both

monks
Romey

Post by Romey »

monks wrote:That was not covered anywhere in the manual. It's a poor manual certainly in terms of creating multisample patches. I'm going to have to walk through this all again and save the instructions for later use because I will definitely forget how to do this!
FYI, The Audio track expansion update included a manual for working with multisamples as this was not part of the orignal functionality. Unfortunately the manual is not easily available. I think you can buy one online for around $20.

Romey
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

Romey wrote:FYI, The Audio track expansion update included a manual for working with multisamples as this was not part of the orignal functionality. Unfortunately the manual is not easily available. I think you can buy one online for around $20.

Nahhh, not that hard to find. Here it is:

FANTOM-X6_X7_X8_AUDIO_AD.pdf
Audio track expansion manual
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 148 times
LA
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

And this is the the added sounds list:
FANTOM-X6_X7_X8_AUDIO_PA.pdf
Added patches
(53.52 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
LA
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

I just checked the Roland websites and the two manuals above are in fact still available directly there.

Got to https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_pr ... s_manuals/ . The "Version 2 manual" is in fact the same as the audio track expansion manual. The "Version 2 Patch List" is the same as the added patches manual.

LA