Sustain left hand

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
Napster428

Sustain left hand

Post by Napster428 »

Hello,
I just acquired an Fantom X6 and I encountered a problem. When I want to play strings on my left hand, I couldn't find a function that holds the sounds (as seen in topic viewtopic.php?t=28773&p=176065). All I want is to play the chord, then when when I play another chord, the strings just change. (On Yamaha Tyros there is a button, as seen in attachment)

EDIT: I also saw this in FAQ, but I still don't get how to do it (if that's the trick)\
8.4 How can I make a sample that I assigned to a key/pad sound wholly without having to hold that key/pad?
For patches (when "assign to keys" was used): select the pad part, then hit [EDIT] or [PATCH EDIT] to enter the patch editor editor and then:

Scroll to the "Misc" tab, and set Sustain to "NO-SUS".
Scroll to the "TVA" tab and adjust the "Decay" parameter so that the sample is played wholly.
For rhythm kits (when "assign to pad" or "create rhythm" was used): select the patch part, then press [EDIT] ([PATCH EDIT] on Fantom-X series) to enter the rhythm set editor, and then:

Press the key/pad the sample is assigned to.
Scroll to the "General" tab and set Tone Sustain Mode to No-Sustain.
Scroll to the "TVA" tab and adjust the Decay parameter so that the sample plays to the end.
Attachments
hold.PNG
hold.PNG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 2151 times
Napster428

Re: Sustain left hand

Post by Napster428 »

Can anyone please reply? At least make me aware of the fact that it's not possible, if the case.

Thank you!
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

I'm not sure I understand what the button does on the Tyros. Do you mean you're playing a string sound with your left hand, presumably in split mode, then you switch to another patch but the strings don't cut off abruptly if they have a long release? That is possible to achieve on the Fantom. Or do you just want to hold the left-hand side of the split - presumably with a sustain pedal - while freely playing the right-hand patch? That's possible too.
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

From yamaha forum:

"This function causes the LEFT part Voice to be held even when the keys are released. Non- decaying Voices such as strings are held continuously, while decay-type Voices such as piano decay more slowly (as if the sustain pedal has been pressed).

This left hand function is quite unique to Arranger Workstations. But you can surmise it uses a sustain message, as sounds where DECAY 2 LEVEL is 0, like percussive instruments (piano), decay eventually. But sounds where the DECAY 2 LEVEL is not 0 will sustain continuously (like strings). But obviously it is not just a simple Sustain message because one left hand chord automatically replaces the previous chord without any runover or overlap."

IMHO the Fantom X cannot do that, it's something very unique of the Tyros.

LA
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

Indeed. The closest you can get on a Fantom is to split two patches across the keyboard in Performance mode, turn off 'Hold' for the right-hand part and use a hold pedal. This still wouldn't mimick the chord behaviour described though. I don't see what purpose this serves, personally.
Napster428

Post by Napster428 »

I understand now. But is it possible to create an arpeggiator that can do that?
gcoudert67

Post by gcoudert67 »

You might be able to achieve this using clever sysex programming via RPS but I know nothing about RPS so I really can't help.
Napster428

Post by Napster428 »

Did anybody manage to achieve this? I really need this feature. I noticed it is available on Yamaha Motif's series too.