JD 900 Vintage and Sounds card vs SRX card sound quality

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
gdh

JD 900 Vintage and Sounds card vs SRX card sound quality

Post by gdh »

I have 2 JD 900's with Vintage card and Sounds of the 60's installed. They are in a rack along with a rack mixer, and a Speakeasy Vintage Tube Stereo Preamp. Hauling the rack to jams and practice sessions can be a pain along with the Fantom X6. I read quite a few years ago that the sound quality on the SRX cards is not as good nor as many sounds as on the older JV cards. I had thought of selling one of the JD's if the quality of sound was compatible.

I've sampled a few of the sounds off of each card but the depth just is not there. I would prefer to haul just the keyboard - maybe the answer is to spend more time and delve into the makeup of the sounds on the cards and (TVA etc) and work on the sampled sounds and effects on the Fantom. I remember talking with Tony Banks while Genesis was on their last tour a few years ago, he used the Korg Oasys for most of his sounds but used the JD 900 with the Vintage card as well predominantly featured on Watcher of the Skies.

Anyone own both the 990 and X with comparable cards and offer any advice.
gdh

Re: JD 990 Vintage and Sounds card vs SRX card sound quality

Post by gdh »

Found the old link on gslutz, seems that Roland dropped the ball on the SRX version of those 2 cards. Might as well keep the 2 JD's with the installed cards. If the SRX cards drop in value I might pick them up. I've sampled some of the sounds but just not the same.

Next up will be to pick up a Neo Ventilator II or mini, no way I'm hauling the Leslie around anymore.

Sorry title should be JD 990, was thinking of my old 800 when I posted.