Is this normal for SRX expansions?

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
szurcio

Is this normal for SRX expansions?

Post by szurcio »

I just got a used SRX 03 (Studio) expansion for my Fantom XR and I noticed that some patches use internal waveforms instead of SRX waveforms. Is this normal or does it mean I have a problem? I didn't see it with my other expansions (SRX06 and SRX09). For example, in "Pastoral" (patch #2 on SRX03), tones 1, 3 and 4 use internal waves and only tone 2 uses waveforms from the expansion (wave numbers 0116 and 0109). I'm not an experienced Roland user so I have no idea if this is normal or not.
rcraven

Re: Is this normal for SRX expansions?

Post by rcraven »

You are able to combine any waves you have inside the FanS or FanX.
So you could make a patch with waves from say the SRX 6 and SRX 9 as well as the internal waves
This great as you can use all the the waves you have inside a synth, but if you move the card and the patch to a different synth it will sound different as the internal waves are either not in the same location or the machine doesn't have the same wave.

The SRX cards are taken care of because the synth's waves are thought of as in 'Banks' and if the SRX card isn't there the Bank is not available and that tone will not sound.
The first Internal bank has the same wave bank number from machine to machine so it will use what ever is in that slot. A different sond in a different machine.

As the SRX cards can go into a number of different synths it is surprising that a SRX card patch would use an internal one.
My SRX-03 is in my FanX and "Pastoral" uses, in Tone 1, Internal 292
In the Fan X (FanS) it is "MC Bass B".
In the XV3080 it is "Pan Pipe"
In the SonicCell it is "Sitar Drn B"

I haven't swapped my SRX cards between synths as I didn't notice that the patches used internal waves and so I thought that the card patches would sound roughly the same.

My conversion program will convert the patches from XV through to SC, but what were the original waves the sound designer was hearing??

Royce
gcoudert67

Re: Is this normal for SRX expansions?

Post by gcoudert67 »

I read about that same complaint somewhere in the past. IIRC, that was also the case with some SR-JV80 cards in my old JV-1080. So yes, that is normal and I understand if you feel cheated by Roland.