Controlling Other Keyboards From Fantom X

Forum for Fantom-S/S88, Fantom-X6/7/8, Fantom-XR and Fantom-Xa
JunoAndy

Controlling Other Keyboards From Fantom X

Post by JunoAndy »

So I've got a Roland Fantom X I'm using to control patch changes to two other Roland keyboards (Juno Di and Juno Ds). I want it set up so that when I change a performance on the Fantom it triggers the patches or performances I want on the other two. After some research I finally got this to happen, However, I don't want the sounds from the other two keyboards to be heard from the Fantom when I play it. No matter what settings I change on the Fantom I can't seem to play the Fantom with it's own sound after triggering the other two keyboards. Am I missing something? This is how it is set up:

Fantom X
(Midi Out)
+
Juno Di (Midi Channel 16)
(Midi In - Soft Thru On) / (Midi Out)
+
Juno Ds (Midi Channel 3)
(Midi In)

I use channel 16 on the Juno Di so that I can trigger Performance changes (only works this way). Any ideas?
Andy Keys

Re: Controlling Other Keyboards From Fantom X

Post by Andy Keys »

Hey JunoAndy,

I’m not sure I understand exactly what you’re saying. When you’ve changed the Patches on the other two synths from the Fantom, is the Fantom playing all three synths simultaneously?

For starters, check in your Performance on the Fantom X which things you have ticked on the External tab. (OS, p.112)

Also, check which Parts of the Performance have the Kyb switch ticked. (OS, p.107)

One possible solution (I'm not totally sure if it would work, though) might be to set the key range of the channels you are playing on the other two keyboards to be a single high or low note, well out of range on the Performance.

Andy